When Is the Best Time to Visit Kazakhstan?
The best time to visit Kazakhstan is during the shoulder seasons of April to May and September to October. During these months, the weather is generally mild and sunny across most of the country, with fewer crowds and lower prices than during the peak summer season.
Here are some of the benefits of visiting Kazakhstan during the shoulder seasons:
- Mild weather: Kazakhstan has a continental climate, with hot summers and cold winters. The shoulder seasons offer mild and pleasant temperatures, making it ideal for sightseeing, exploring, and enjoying the outdoors.
- Smaller crowds: The shoulder seasons are less crowded than the peak summer season, so you’ll be able to enjoy Kazakhstan’s popular tourist attractions without having to deal with large crowds. This is especially important if you’re visiting popular destinations like Almaty, Astana, and Charyn Canyon.
- Lower prices: Prices for flights, accommodation, and activities are generally lower during the shoulder seasons than during the peak summer season. This means you can save money on your trip without having to sacrifice quality.
Here are some specific examples of how you can enjoy the most of Kazakhstan during the shoulder seasons:
- April to May: The weather in April to May is typically sunny and warm, with occasional showers. This is a great time to visit for hiking in the Almaty Mountains, visiting the Kolsai Lakes, and exploring the Charyn Canyon.
- September to October: The weather in September to October is also typically sunny and warm, with occasional showers. This is a great time to visit for visiting the Bayanaul Mountains, seeing the golden autumn leaves in the Burabay National Park, and exploring the Altyn-Emel National Park.
While there are many great times to visit Kazakhstan, if you’re looking for the best weather and the most opportunities to enjoy the country’s natural beauty and cultural attractions, then we recommend visiting during the shoulder seasons.
Climate in Kazakhstan
Summer Season in Kazakhstan
Kazakhstani summers are warm to hot, particularly in the southern regions, with long days and abundant sunshine. The temperatures can vary significantly, being milder in the mountainous areas and hotter in the plains and deserts. This season is generally dry, with minimal rainfall, making it ideal for exploring the vast steppes and enjoying outdoor activities.
Rainy Season in Kazakhstan
Kazakhstan does not have a typical rainy season like tropical regions. However, the majority of its rainfall occurs during the spring and early summer months, especially in the northern and eastern parts of the country. The rain is vital for the steppe and agricultural lands, contributing to the growth of the region's natural flora.
Winter Season in Kazakhstan
Winters in Kazakhstan are long and harsh, with very cold temperatures and snowfall common across much of the country, especially in the north. The southern regions experience milder but still cold winters. This season is marked by short days and is known for its winter sports opportunities, particularly in the mountainous areas. The extreme cold can pose challenges for travel and outdoor activities in certain regions.