When Is the Best Time to Visit Cambodia?
The best time to visit Cambodia is during the dry season, from November to April. During these months, the weather is generally sunny and warm, with little rain. This makes it ideal for exploring the country’s many temples, including the world-famous Angkor Wat.
Benefits of visiting Cambodia during the dry season:
- Sunny weather: Cambodia has a tropical climate, but the dry season offers the best chance of sunshine and clear skies. This is perfect for spending days exploring ancient temples, trekking through lush jungles, and relaxing on beautiful beaches.
- Less rain: The dry season is the time of year with the least amount of rain in Cambodia. This means you can enjoy your activities without having to worry about getting wet.
- Good road conditions: The roads in Cambodia are generally well-maintained, but they can become impassable during the rainy season. During the dry season, you can be sure that you’ll be able to get to all of your desired destinations.
Specific examples of how you can enjoy Cambodia during the dry season:
- November to January: This is the peak tourist season in Cambodia, but it’s also the driest and coolest time of year. This is a great time to visit Angkor Wat, Ta Prohm, and the other temples of Angkor Archaeological Park.
- February to April: The weather starts to get hotter in February, but it’s still a good time to visit Cambodia. This is a good time to visit the beaches of Sihanoukville or Koh Rong, or to go trekking in the Cardamom Mountains.
No matter what time of year you choose to visit Cambodia, you’re sure to have a memorable experience. The country has a rich history and culture, and there is something for everyone to enjoy.
Climate in Cambodia
Summer Season in Cambodia
Often considered as 'summer' in Cambodia, the dry season features hot, sunny weather with minimal rainfall. Early in this season (November to February), the temperatures are relatively cooler and more comfortable, making it an ideal time for tourism. As the season progresses, temperatures rise significantly, peaking in April, with conditions becoming increasingly hot and dry.
Rainy Season in Cambodia
The rainy season in Cambodia is marked by the southwest monsoon, bringing frequent and heavy rainfall, usually in the form of short, intense downpours often occurring in the afternoon or evening. Despite the rain, the temperatures remain warm. This season is characterized by lush greenery, with the countryside coming to life, and is essential for the country's rice cultivation and agriculture.
Winter Season in Cambodia
Cambodia does not experience a winter season in the traditional sense of cold weather. The closest to 'winter' would be the cooler part of the dry season (November to February), where the temperatures are slightly lower and the weather is more pleasant compared to the hot, dry months that follow. The concept of winter, as understood in temperate regions, does not apply to Cambodia's tropical climate.