When Is the Best Time to Visit Michigan?
The best time to visit Michigan is during the shoulder seasons of April to June and September to October. During these months, the weather is generally mild and sunny, with fewer crowds and lower prices than during the peak summer season (July and August).
Here are some of the benefits of visiting Michigan during the shoulder seasons:
- Mild weather: Michigan has a humid continental climate, with hot, humid summers and cold, snowy winters. The shoulder seasons offer pleasant temperatures, making them ideal for sightseeing, exploring, and enjoying the outdoors.
- Smaller crowds: The shoulder seasons are less crowded than the peak summer season, so you’ll be able to enjoy Michigan’s popular tourist attractions without having to deal with large crowds. This is especially important if you’re visiting popular destinations like Mackinac Island, Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore, and the Henry Ford Museum of American Innovation.
- Lower prices: Prices for flights, accommodation, and activities are generally lower during the shoulder seasons than during the peak summer season. This means you can save money on your trip without having to sacrifice quality.
Here are some specific examples of how you can enjoy the most of Michigan during the shoulder seasons:
- Spring (April to June): The weather in spring is typically sunny and mild, with occasional showers. This is a great time to visit for hiking in the Porcupine Mountains Wilderness State Park, visiting the tulip farms, and attending the Traverse City Wine & Food Festival.
- Autumn (September to October): The weather in autumn is also typically sunny and mild, with occasional showers. This is a great time to visit for leaf peeping in the Upper Peninsula, visiting the apple orchards, and attending the Ann Arbor Oktoberfest.
While there are many great times to visit Michigan, if you’re looking for the best weather and the most opportunities to enjoy the state’s natural beauty and attractions, then we recommend visiting during the shoulder seasons of spring and autumn.
Climate in Michigan
Summer Season in Michigan
Michigan's summer season, from June to August, offers pleasant and warm weather, with temperatures typically ranging from 70°F to 85°F. It's an ideal time for outdoor activities, exploring the state's natural beauty, and enjoying the Great Lakes. The warm and sunny weather is perfect for experiencing Michigan's lakeside culture.
Rainy Season in Michigan
Michigan experiences rainfall throughout the year, with slightly more precipitation in the late spring and early autumn months. While there isn't a distinct rainy season, visitors should be prepared for occasional showers, particularly in May and September.
Winter Season in Michigan
Michigan's winter season, from December to February, is cold, with temperatures ranging from 20°F to 35°F. This period is great for winter sports, holiday festivities, and exploring the state's historic sites. It's a popular time for experiencing Michigan's unique culture and traditions.