When Is the Best Time to Visit Wyoming?
The best time to visit Wyoming is during the shoulder seasons of spring (April to June) and fall (September to October). During these months, the weather is generally mild and pleasant, with fewer crowds and lower prices than during the peak summer season.
Here are some of the benefits of visiting Wyoming during the shoulder seasons:
- Mild weather: Wyoming has a continental climate, with warm summers and cold winters. However, the shoulder seasons offer mild and pleasant temperatures, making it ideal for sightseeing, hiking, and other outdoor activities.
- Smaller crowds: The shoulder seasons are less crowded than the peak summer season, so you’ll be able to enjoy Wyoming’s popular tourist attractions without having to deal with large crowds. This is especially important if you’re visiting popular destinations like Yellowstone National Park, Grand Teton National Park, and Jackson Hole.
- Lower prices: Prices for flights, accommodation, and activities are generally lower during the shoulder seasons than during the peak summer season. This means you can save money on your trip without having to sacrifice quality.
Here are some specific examples of how you can enjoy the most of Wyoming during the shoulder seasons:
- April to June: The weather in April to June is typically sunny and warm, with occasional showers. This is a great time to visit for hiking in Yellowstone National Park, fishing in the Snake River, and rafting in the Colorado River.
- September to October: The weather in September to October is also typically sunny and warm, with occasional showers. This is a great time to visit for seeing the fall foliage in Grand Teton National Park, hunting in the Bighorn Mountains, and skiing in Jackson Hole.
While there are many great times to visit Wyoming, if you’re looking for the best weather and the most opportunities to enjoy the state’s outdoor activities, then we recommend visiting during the shoulder seasons of spring and fall.
Climate in Wyoming
Summer Season in Wyoming
Wyoming's summer season, from June to August, offers mild and pleasant weather, with temperatures typically ranging from 65°F to 80°F. It's an ideal time for outdoor activities, exploring the state's natural beauty, and visiting national parks like Yellowstone and Grand Teton. The mild and sunny weather is perfect for experiencing Wyoming's rugged landscapes.
Rainy Season in Wyoming
Wyoming experiences minimal rainfall throughout the year, and there isn't a distinct rainy season. However, some regions may see slightly more precipitation in late spring and early autumn.
Winter Season in Wyoming
Wyoming's winter season, from December to February, is cold and snowy, with temperatures ranging from 10°F to 30°F. This period is great for winter sports enthusiasts, with numerous opportunities for skiing, snowmobiling, and exploring the state's beautiful snow-covered landscapes. It's also an excellent time for experiencing the state's serene winter charm.