Browse Expedia.com’s robust inventory of international and domestic flight deals! We may be compensated when you book after clicking on one of our links.
Flying is one of the most common and efficient ways to reach Washington, D.C., with major airports serving the region.
Here’s how to get to Washington, D.C. by air:
- From within the U.S. and Canada: Travelers from within the United States and Canada can find direct flights to major airports in the Washington, D.C. metropolitan area, including Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport (DCA), Washington Dulles International Airport (IAD), and Baltimore/Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport (BWI). Depart from cities like New York, Los Angeles, or Toronto, and choose airlines like American Airlines, Delta, or United for convenient access to the capital. Flight durations can vary based on your departure location but typically range from 1 to 6 hours.
- From international locations: If you’re coming from outside the United States and Canada, you can find connecting flights to the Washington, D.C. area via major U.S. hubs. Washington Dulles International Airport and Baltimore/Washington International Airport offer international flight services. Airlines like British Airways, Lufthansa, and Air Canada can facilitate your journey. Flight durations depend on your departure location and route but can range from 8 to 15 hours or more.
How Long Is the Flight to Washington DC?
The average flight time to Washington DC can vary depending on the departure city, airline, and route. Here are approximate flight times from some of the most common destinations:
- London, UK: Approximately 8 to 9 hours
- Los Angeles, USA: About 5 to 6 hours
- Tokyo, Japan: Around 13 to 14 hours
- Sydney, Australia: About 20 to 22 hours
- Dubai, UAE: Approximately 13 to 14 hours
- New York City, USA: Around 1 to 2 hours
- San Francisco, USA: About 5 to 6 hours
- Miami, USA: Approximately 2 to 3 hours
These durations are estimates and can vary based on airline, specific flight route, and current travel conditions. It’s always best to check with airlines for the most accurate and up-to-date flight information.