When Is the Best Time to Visit Utah?
The best time to visit Utah is during the shoulder seasons of April to June and September to October. During these months, the weather is generally mild and sunny, with fewer crowds and lower prices than during the peak summer season (July and August).
Here are some of the benefits of visiting Utah during the shoulder seasons:
- Mild weather: Utah has a high-desert climate, with hot, dry summers and cold, snowy winters. The shoulder seasons offer pleasant temperatures, making them ideal for sightseeing, exploring, and enjoying the outdoors.
- Smaller crowds: The shoulder seasons are less crowded than the peak summer season, so you’ll be able to enjoy Utah’s popular tourist attractions without having to deal with large crowds. This is especially important if you’re visiting popular destinations like Zion National Park, Bryce Canyon National Park, and Arches National Park.
- Lower prices: Prices for flights, accommodation, and activities are generally lower during the shoulder seasons than during the peak summer season. This means you can save money on your trip without having to sacrifice quality.
Here are some specific examples of how you can enjoy the most of Utah during the shoulder seasons:
- Spring (April to June): The weather in spring is typically sunny and mild, with occasional showers. This is a great time to visit for hiking in the national parks, such as Zion National Park and Bryce Canyon National Park, camping in the state parks, and fishing in the many lakes and rivers.
- Autumn (September to October): The weather in autumn is also typically sunny and mild, with occasional showers. This is a great time to visit for leaf peeping in the mountains, attending the many festivals that are held throughout the state, such as the Utah State Fair and the Sundance Film Festival, and skiing and snowboarding in the Wasatch Mountains.
While there are many great times to visit Utah, if you’re looking for the best weather and the most opportunities to enjoy the state’s outdoor activities, then we recommend visiting during the shoulder seasons of spring and autumn.
Climate in Utah
Summer Season in Utah
Utah's summer season, from June to August, offers warm and sunny weather, with temperatures typically ranging from 80°F to 95°F. It's an ideal time for outdoor activities, exploring the state's natural beauty, and enjoying its national parks and outdoor recreation. The warm and sunny weather is perfect for experiencing the stunning landscapes of Utah.
Rainy Season in Utah
Utah experiences minimal rainfall in general, but there can be some variations. In some regions, there may be slightly more precipitation during late spring and early autumn. However, it is not characterized by a distinct rainy season.
Winter Season in Utah
Utah's winter season, from December to February, is cold and snowy, especially in the mountainous areas. Temperatures can range from 25°F to 40°F in the valleys and drop lower in higher elevations. This period is great for winter sports enthusiasts, with numerous ski resorts and opportunities for skiing and snowboarding in the state's beautiful mountains. It's also an excellent time for enjoying cultural events and cozy winter getaways.