When Is the Best Time to Visit Texas?
The best time to visit Texas is during the shoulder seasons of March to May and September to November. During these months, the weather is generally mild and sunny, with fewer crowds and lower prices than during the peak summer season (June to August).
Here are some of the benefits of visiting Texas during the shoulder seasons:
- Mild weather: Texas has a diverse climate, with hot, humid summers and mild winters in the east, and drier, more arid conditions in the west. The shoulder seasons offer the best of both worlds, with pleasant temperatures and less rainfall.
- Smaller crowds: The shoulder seasons are less crowded than the peak summer season, so you’ll be able to enjoy Texas’ popular tourist attractions without having to deal with large crowds. This is especially important if you’re visiting popular destinations like Austin, San Antonio, and Dallas.
- Lower prices: Prices for flights, accommodation, and activities are generally lower during the shoulder seasons than during the peak summer season. This means you can save money on your trip without having to sacrifice quality.
Here are some specific examples of how you can enjoy the most of Texas during the shoulder seasons:
- Spring (March to May): The weather in spring is typically sunny and mild, with occasional showers. This is a great time to visit for wildflowers in bloom, hiking in the state parks, and attending the many festivals that are held throughout the state, such as the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo and the South by Southwest festival.
- Autumn (September to November): The weather in autumn is also typically sunny and mild, with occasional showers. This is a great time to visit for leaf peeping in the Hill Country, attending the State Fair of Texas, and visiting the pumpkin patches and haunted houses throughout the state.
While there are many great times to visit Texas, if you’re looking for the best weather and the most opportunities to enjoy the state’s outdoor activities, then we recommend visiting during the shoulder seasons of spring and autumn, when the temperatures are mild and pleasant, and the crowds are smaller.
Climate in Texas
Summer Season in Texas
Texas's summer season, from June to August, offers hot and sunny weather, with temperatures typically ranging from 85°F to 100°F. It's an ideal time for outdoor activities, exploring the state's diverse landscapes, and enjoying cultural events. The hot and sunny weather is perfect for experiencing the size and diversity of Texas.
Rainy Season in Texas
Texas experiences varying levels of rainfall throughout the year, with some regions having a distinct rainy season. For example, along the Gulf Coast, the rainy season typically occurs from June to October due to the hurricane season, while other parts of the state may experience more rain in spring and early autumn.
Winter Season in Texas
Texas's winter season, from December to February, varies by region. In the southern parts of the state, winters are mild, with temperatures ranging from 45°F to 60°F. In northern areas, temperatures can drop further, and some regions may experience occasional snowfall. It's a great time for exploring cultural events and the state's unique blend of southwestern and southern cultures.