When Is the Best Time to Visit Pennsylvania?
The best time to visit Pennsylvania is during the shoulder seasons of April to June and September to October. During these months, the weather is generally mild and sunny, with fewer crowds and lower prices than during the peak summer season (July and August).
Here are some of the benefits of visiting Pennsylvania during the shoulder seasons:
- Mild weather: Pennsylvania has a humid continental climate, with hot, humid summers and cold, snowy winters. The shoulder seasons offer pleasant temperatures, making them ideal for sightseeing, exploring, and enjoying the outdoors.
- Smaller crowds: The shoulder seasons are less crowded than the peak summer season, so you’ll be able to enjoy Pennsylvania’s popular tourist attractions without having to deal with large crowds. This is especially important if you’re visiting popular destinations like Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, and Hersheypark.
- Lower prices: Prices for flights, accommodation, and activities are generally lower during the shoulder seasons than during the peak summer season. This means you can save money on your trip without having to sacrifice quality.
Here are some specific examples of how you can enjoy the most of Pennsylvania during the shoulder seasons:
- Spring (April to June): The weather in spring is typically sunny and mild, with occasional showers. This is a great time to visit for hiking in the Pocono Mountains, visiting the Amish countryside, and attending the many festivals that are held throughout the state, such as the Philadelphia Flower Show and the Pennsylvania Renaissance Faire.
- Autumn (September to October): The weather in autumn is also typically sunny and mild, with occasional showers. This is a great time to visit for leaf peeping in the Allegheny Mountains, visiting the pumpkin patches, and attending the Halloween festivities in Sleepy Hollow.
While there are many great times to visit Pennsylvania, if you’re looking for the best weather and the most opportunities to enjoy the state’s natural beauty and attractions, then we recommend visiting during the shoulder seasons of spring and autumn.
Climate in Pennsylvania
Summer Season in Pennsylvania
Pennsylvania's summer season, from June to August, offers warm and pleasant weather, with temperatures typically ranging from 75°F to 85°F. It's an ideal time for outdoor activities, exploring the state's natural beauty, and enjoying cultural events and festivals. The warm and sunny weather is perfect for experiencing the diverse attractions of Pennsylvania.
Rainy Season in Pennsylvania
Pennsylvania experiences rainfall throughout the year, with slightly more precipitation in the late spring and early autumn months. While there isn't a distinct rainy season, visitors should be prepared for occasional showers, particularly in May and September.
Winter Season in Pennsylvania
Pennsylvania's winter season, from December to February, is cold, with temperatures ranging from 25°F to 40°F. This period is great for winter sports enthusiasts, with opportunities for skiing and snowboarding in the Pocono Mountains. It's also a perfect time for holiday festivities, exploring historic sites, and enjoying the cozy ambiance of Pennsylvania's towns and cities.