When Is the Best Time to Visit Oregon?
The best time to visit Oregon is during the shoulder seasons of April to June and September to October. During these months, the weather is generally mild and sunny, with fewer crowds and lower prices than during the peak summer season (July and August).
Here are some of the benefits of visiting Oregon during the shoulder seasons:
- Mild weather: Oregon has a temperate climate, with cool, wet winters and warm, dry summers. The shoulder seasons offer pleasant temperatures, making them ideal for sightseeing, exploring, and enjoying the outdoors.
- Smaller crowds: The shoulder seasons are less crowded than the peak summer season, so you’ll be able to enjoy Oregon’s popular tourist attractions without having to deal with large crowds. This is especially important if you’re visiting popular destinations like Crater Lake National Park, the Oregon Coast, and Portland.
- Lower prices: Prices for flights, accommodation, and activities are generally lower during the shoulder seasons than during the peak summer season. This means you can save money on your trip without having to sacrifice quality.
Here are some specific examples of how you can enjoy the most of Oregon during the shoulder seasons:
- Spring (April to June): The weather in spring is typically sunny and mild, with occasional showers. This is a great time to visit for hiking in the Columbia River Gorge, visiting the wildflowers in Mount Hood National Forest, and attending the many festivals that are held throughout the state, such as the Portland Rose Festival and the Oregon Shakespeare Festival.
- Autumn (September to October): The weather in autumn is also typically sunny and mild, with occasional showers. This is a great time to visit for leaf peeping in the Cascade Mountains, visiting the pumpkin patches, and attending the Halloween festivities in Salem.
While there are many great times to visit Oregon, if you’re looking for the best weather and the most opportunities to enjoy the state’s natural beauty and attractions, then we recommend visiting during the shoulder seasons of spring and autumn.
Climate in Oregon
Summer Season in Oregon
Oregon's summer season, from June to August, offers mild and pleasant weather, with temperatures typically ranging from 70°F to 85°F. It's an ideal time for outdoor activities, exploring the state's natural beauty, and enjoying its many parks and scenic landscapes. The warm and sunny weather is perfect for experiencing the beauty of Oregon's outdoors.
Rainy Season in Oregon
Oregon experiences a distinct rainy season from late autumn through early spring, with the wettest months typically from November to March. The rest of the year sees limited rainfall, making it an excellent time for outdoor exploration.
Winter Season in Oregon
Oregon's winter season, from December to February, varies by region. Along the coast, winters are mild and wet, while mountainous areas offer excellent conditions for winter sports, including skiing and snowboarding. It's also a great time for enjoying cultural events and cozying up by the fireplace in Oregon's charming towns.