When Is the Best Time to Visit Oklahoma?
The best time to visit Oklahoma is during the shoulder seasons of April to June and September to October. During these months, the weather is generally mild and sunny, with fewer crowds and lower prices than during the peak summer season (July and August).
- Mild weather: Oklahoma has a humid continental climate, with hot, humid summers and cold, dry winters. The shoulder seasons offer pleasant temperatures, making them ideal for sightseeing, exploring, and enjoying the outdoors.
- Smaller crowds: The shoulder seasons are less crowded than the peak summer season, so you’ll be able to enjoy Oklahoma’s popular tourist attractions without having to deal with large crowds. This is especially important if you’re visiting popular destinations like the Oklahoma City National Memorial & Museum, the Tulsa Air and Space Museum, and the Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge.
- Lower prices: Prices for flights, accommodation, and activities are generally lower during the shoulder seasons than during the peak summer season. This means you can save money on your trip without having to sacrifice quality.
Here are some specific examples of how you can enjoy the most of Oklahoma during the shoulder seasons:
- Spring (April to June): The weather in spring is typically sunny and mild, with occasional showers. This is a great time to visit for hiking in the Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge, visiting the wildflower fields in the Quartz Mountains, and attending the many festivals that are held throughout the state, such as the Oklahoma State Fair and the Tulsa International Mayfest.
- Autumn (September to October): The weather in autumn is also typically sunny and mild, with occasional showers. This is a great time to visit for leaf peeping in the Ouachita Mountains, visiting the pumpkin patches, and attending the Halloween festivities in Guthrie.
While there are many great times to visit Oklahoma, if you’re looking for the best weather and the most opportunities to enjoy the state’s natural beauty and attractions, then we recommend visiting during the shoulder seasons of spring and autumn.
Climate in Oklahoma
Summer Season in Oklahoma
Oklahoma's summer season, from June to August, offers hot and sunny weather, with temperatures typically ranging from 85°F to 100°F. It's an ideal time for outdoor activities, exploring the state's natural beauty, and enjoying local festivals. The hot and sunny weather is perfect for experiencing the diverse attractions of Oklahoma.
Rainy Season in Oklahoma
Oklahoma experiences a distinct rainy season in spring, particularly from April to June, with thunderstorms and occasional tornadoes. This season can bring much-needed moisture to the region.
Winter Season in Oklahoma
Oklahoma's winter season, from December to February, is relatively mild compared to many other states. Temperatures range from 30°F to 50°F, making it a comfortable time for exploring cultural attractions and enjoying the state's unique heritage and traditions.