When Is the Best Time to Visit Nebraska?
The best time to visit Nebraska is during the shoulder seasons of April to June and September to October. During these months, the weather is generally mild and sunny, with fewer crowds and lower prices than during the peak summer season (July and August).
- Mild weather: Nebraska has a humid continental climate, with hot, humid summers and cold, snowy winters. The shoulder seasons offer pleasant temperatures, making them ideal for sightseeing, exploring, and enjoying the outdoors.
- Smaller crowds: The shoulder seasons are less crowded than the peak summer season, so you’ll be able to enjoy Nebraska’s popular tourist attractions without having to deal with large crowds. This is especially important if you’re visiting popular destinations like the Henry Doorly Zoo and Aquarium, the Nebraska State Fair, and the Sandhills National Wildlife Refuge.
- Lower prices: Prices for flights, accommodation, and activities are generally lower during the shoulder seasons than during the peak summer season. This means you can save money on your trip without having to sacrifice quality.
Here are some specific examples of how you can enjoy the most of Nebraska during the shoulder seasons:
- Spring (April to June): The weather in spring is typically sunny and mild, with occasional showers. This is a great time to visit for hiking in the Niobrara River Valley, visiting the state parks, and attending the many festivals that are held throughout the state.
- Autumn (September to October): The weather in autumn is also typically sunny and mild, with occasional showers. This is a great time to visit for leaf peeping in the Pine Ridge, visiting the pumpkin patches, and attending the Nebraska State Fair.
While there are many great times to visit Nebraska, if you’re looking for the best weather and the most opportunities to enjoy the state’s natural beauty and attractions, then we recommend visiting during the shoulder seasons of spring and autumn.
Climate in Nebraska
Summer Season in Nebraska
Nebraska's summer season, from June to August, offers warm and sunny weather, with temperatures typically ranging from 75°F to 90°F. It's an ideal time for outdoor activities, exploring the state's natural beauty, and enjoying local festivals. The warm and sunny weather is perfect for immersing yourself in Nebraska's outdoor adventures.
Rainy Season in Nebraska
Nebraska experiences limited rainfall throughout the year, and there isn't a distinct rainy season. Visitors should expect occasional showers, especially in the late spring and early autumn months.
Winter Season in Nebraska
Nebraska's winter season, from December to February, is cold, with temperatures ranging from 15°F to 30°F. This period is great for winter sports enthusiasts, with opportunities for skiing and snowboarding. In the cities, winter is milder, making it a great time for holiday festivities and exploring Nebraska's unique culture.