When Is the Best Time to Visit Montana?
The best time to visit Montana is during the shoulder seasons of April to June and September to October. During these months, the weather is generally mild and sunny, with fewer crowds and lower prices than during the peak summer season (July and August).
- Mild weather: Montana has a continental climate, with hot, dry summers and cold, snowy winters. The shoulder seasons offer pleasant temperatures, making them ideal for sightseeing, exploring, and enjoying the outdoors.
- Smaller crowds: The shoulder seasons are less crowded than the peak summer season, so you’ll be able to enjoy Montana’s popular tourist attractions without having to deal with large crowds. This is especially important if you’re visiting popular destinations like Yellowstone National Park, Glacier National Park, and Whitefish Mountain Resort.
- Lower prices: Prices for flights, accommodation, and activities are generally lower during the shoulder seasons than during the peak summer season. This means you can save money on your trip without having to sacrifice quality.
Here are some specific examples of how you can enjoy the most of Montana during the shoulder seasons:
- Spring (April to June): The weather in spring is typically sunny and mild, with occasional showers. This is a great time to visit for hiking in the Beartooth Mountains, visiting the state parks, and fishing in the many rivers and lakes.
- Autumn (September to October): The weather in autumn is also typically sunny and mild, with occasional showers. This is a great time to visit for leaf peeping in the Gallatin Valley, visiting the pumpkin patches, and attending the many festivals that are held throughout the state.
While there are many great times to visit Montana, if you’re looking for the best weather and the most opportunities to enjoy the state’s natural beauty and attractions, then we recommend visiting during the shoulder seasons of spring and autumn.
Climate in Montana
Summer Season in Montana
Montana's summer season, from June to August, offers pleasant and warm weather, with temperatures typically ranging from 70°F to 85°F. It's an ideal time for outdoor activities, such as hiking, fishing, and exploring the state's breathtaking natural landscapes. The warm and sunny weather is perfect for immersing yourself in Montana's outdoor adventures.
Rainy Season in Montana
Montana experiences limited rainfall throughout the year, and there isn't a distinct rainy season. Visitors should expect occasional showers, especially in the late spring and early autumn months.
Winter Season in Montana
Montana's winter season, from December to February, is cold and snowy, with temperatures ranging from 10°F to 30°F. This period is perfect for winter sports enthusiasts, with opportunities for skiing, snowboarding, and enjoying the state's scenic winter beauty. In the cities, winter is milder, and it's a great time for holiday festivities and exploring Montana's culture.