Browse Expedia.com’s robust inventory of international and domestic flight deals! We may be compensated when you book after clicking on one of our links.
Flying is the fastest and most popular way to reach North America. You can enter North America at any of the hundreds of international airports across the continent, making it easily accessible from around the world.
Here’s how to get to North America by air:
- From Europe: You can take a direct or connecting flight to Canada, the U.S., or Mexico from European cities like London, Paris, or Madrid on British Airways, Lufthansa, or Air France flights. It’s easy to find direct flights to many major cities in North America, including Toronto, New York City, and Mexico City. Flight times vary with your departure city and destination, but may take between 8-12 hours or more.
- From Asia: Flying from Asia to North America means you’re in for a longer flight (typically one that includes layovers). Choose airlines like Singapore Airlines, Cathay Pacific, or Delta Air Line to arrive in major cities with international airports across North America. Your flight time might range from 15-20+ hours when flying from Asia.
- From South America: South America is just below North America, making it a convenient departure point to travel here. You can fly on direct or connecting flights from cities like Buenos Aires or Santiago to arrive at popular North American destinations in Canada, the U.S., or Mexico on flights with LATAM, Avianca, American Airlines, and more. Your flight could take 5-10+ hours, depending on your itinerary and departure point.
- From Other International Destinations: You can fly to North America from just about any destination worldwide, including Australia, the Middle East, and islands with international airports. Available airlines and flight times will vary based on your location, but expect the average flight time to range from 10-20+ hours to get to North America.
How Long Is the Flight to North America?
The average flight time to North America can vary depending on the departure city, airline, and route. Here are approximate flight times from some of the most common origins:
- Sydney, Australia: Approximately 17 hours 50 minutes
- London, UK: About 8 hours 57 minutes
- Tokyo, Japan: Around 12 hours 54 minutes
- Paris, France: Approximately 9 hours 53 minutes
- Beijing, China: About 13 hours 50 minutes
- Sao Paulo, Brazil: Approximately 10 hours 1 minute
- Johannesburg, South Africa: Around 18 hours 50 minutes
These times are based on direct flights where available and may vary based on wind speeds and specific flight routes.