When Is the Best Time to Visit Arkansas?
The best time to visit Arkansas is during the shoulder seasons of April to June and September to October. During these months, the weather is generally mild and sunny, with fewer crowds and lower prices than during the peak summer season (July and August).
Here are some of the benefits of visiting Arkansas during the shoulder seasons:
- Mild weather: Arkansas has a humid subtropical climate, with hot, humid summers and mild winters. The shoulder seasons offer pleasant temperatures, making them ideal for sightseeing, exploring, and enjoying the outdoors.
- Smaller crowds: The shoulder seasons are less crowded than the peak summer season, so you’ll be able to enjoy Arkansas’ popular tourist attractions without having to deal with large crowds. This is especially important if you’re visiting popular destinations like the Hot Springs National Park, the Ozark Mountains, and the Arkansas River Valley.
- Lower prices: Prices for flights, accommodation, and activities are generally lower during the shoulder seasons than during the peak summer season. This means you can save money on your trip without having to sacrifice quality.
Here are some specific examples of how you can enjoy the most of Arkansas during the shoulder seasons:
- Spring (April to June): The weather in spring is typically sunny and mild, with occasional showers. This is a great time to visit for hiking in the Ozark Mountains, exploring the Hot Springs National Park, and visiting the Arkansas River Valley.
- Autumn (September to October): The weather in autumn is also typically sunny and mild, with occasional showers. This is a great time to visit for leaf peeping in the Ozark Mountains, visiting the historic towns of Eureka Springs and Bentonville, and attending the Arkansas State Fair.
While there are many great times to visit Arkansas, if you’re looking for the best weather and the most opportunities to enjoy the state’s outdoor activities and attractions, then we recommend visiting during the shoulder seasons of spring and autumn.
Climate in Arkansas
Summer Season in Arkansas
Arkansas' summer season, from June to August, offers warm and humid weather, with temperatures typically ranging from 80°F to 92°F. It's an ideal time for outdoor activities like hiking, boating, and enjoying the state's beautiful lakes and rivers. The warm and sunny weather is perfect for experiencing the natural beauty of Arkansas.
Rainy Season in Arkansas
Arkansas experiences rainfall throughout the year, but the late spring and early autumn months see slightly more precipitation. While there isn't a distinct rainy season, visitors should be prepared for occasional showers, particularly in May and September.
Winter Season in Arkansas
Arkansas' winter season, from December to February, is mild and cool, with temperatures ranging from 35°F to 55°F. This period is less crowded and offers a more peaceful experience. It's great for exploring the state's historic sites, enjoying local cuisine, and taking in the seasonal festivities.