When Is the Best Time to Visit Costa Rica?
The best time to visit Costa Rica is during the dry season, which runs from December to April. During these months, the weather is sunny and warm, with less rainfall, making it ideal for exploring the country’s many outdoor attractions.
Here are some of the benefits of visiting Costa Rica during the dry season:
- Mild weather: The weather in Costa Rica during the dry season is generally mild and pleasant, with average temperatures ranging from 75 to 85 degrees Fahrenheit. This means you can enjoy the country’s beaches, rainforests, and volcanoes without being too hot or too cold.
- Sunny skies: The dry season in Costa Rica is known for its sunny skies, with little rainfall. This means you can enjoy the country’s stunning scenery without having to worry about getting wet.
- Less rainfall: With less rainfall during the dry season, you can be sure that your travel plans won’t be disrupted by bad weather.
Here are some specific examples of how you can enjoy the most of Costa Rica during the dry season:
- December to February: The weather in December, January, and February is typically warm and sunny, with occasional showers. This is a great time to visit for swimming and sunbathing at the beaches of Manuel Antonio, exploring the rainforests of Monteverde, and hiking to the top of Arenal Volcano.
- March to April: The weather in March and April is also typically warm and sunny, with occasional showers. This is a great time to visit for surfing in Tamarindo, rafting on the Pacuare River, and visiting the Tortuguero National Park.
While there are many great times to visit Costa Rica, if you’re looking for the best weather and the most opportunities to enjoy the country’s outdoor activities, then we recommend visiting during the dry season, from December to April.
Climate in Costa Rica
Summer Season in Costa Rica
Costa Rica's summer season, which aligns with the dry season, runs from December to April. This period offers warm and dry weather with temperatures typically ranging from 70°F to 85°F. It's an ideal time for beach vacations, exploring lush rainforests, and enjoying outdoor activities such as hiking and wildlife watching. The stable weather makes it a popular time for travelers.
Rainy Season in Costa Rica
Costa Rica experiences a rainy season from May to November, with the heaviest rainfall from September to October. Visitors during this period should be prepared for frequent showers, lush green landscapes, and a vibrant rainy season experience.
Winter Season in Costa Rica
Costa Rica's winter season falls from May to November, coinciding with the rainy season. While it can be wet and humid, it is still possible to visit during this period, especially if you want to experience the country's diverse ecosystems and wildlife. The Caribbean coast experiences more consistent rainfall during these months, making it wetter than the Pacific coast.