Browse Expedia.com’s robust inventory of international and domestic flight deals! We may be compensated when you book after clicking on one of our links.
Flying is the most common and efficient way to reach Costa Rica. Juan Santamaría International Airport (SJO) in San Jose and Daniel Oduber Quirós International Airport (LIR) in Liberia are the primary gateways.
Here’s how to get to Costa Rica by air:
- From North America: Travelers from North America can find direct flights to both Juan Santamaría International Airport and Daniel Oduber Quirós International Airport. Depart from major cities like Miami, Los Angeles, or New York, and choose airlines like American Airlines, Delta Air Lines, or Southwest. Flight durations can vary based on your departure location but typically range from 4 to 7 hours.
- From Europe: Travelers from Europe can find connecting flights to Costa Rica. Depart from cities like London, Madrid, or Frankfurt, and choose airlines like British Airways, Iberia, or Lufthansa. Flight durations can vary based on your departure location and layovers but typically range from 12 to 16 hours.
- From South America: Travelers from South America can find direct or connecting flights to Costa Rica. Depart from cities like Bogotá, Quito, or São Paulo, and choose airlines like Avianca, LATAM Airlines, or Copa Airlines. Flight durations can vary based on your departure location and layovers but typically range from 3 to 7 hours.
- From Other International Destinations: Costa Rica is accessible from various international locations. You can find flights from cities like Toronto, Mexico City, or Panama City. Airlines like Air Canada, Aeromexico, and Copa Airlines offer routes to Costa Rica. Flight durations depend on your departure location and route but can range from 3 to 12 hours or more.
How Long Is the Flight to Costa Rica?
The average flight time to Costa Rica can vary depending on the departure city, airline, and route. Here are approximate flight times from some of the most common origins:
- New York, USA: Around 5 hours
- Los Angeles, USA: Approximately 6 hours
- Miami, USA: About 2.5 hours
- Toronto, Canada: Around 5 hours
- Dallas, USA: Approximately 4 hours
- London, UK: About 11 hours (usually with a stopover)
- Mexico City, Mexico: Around 3.5 hours
- Frankfurt, Germany: Approximately 11 to 12 hours (usually with a stopover)
These are estimated times and actual flight durations may vary based on the specific route, stopovers, and other factors.