When Is the Best Time to Visit Belize?
The best time to visit Belize is during the dry season, from November to April. During these months, the weather is sunny and warm, with less rainfall, making it ideal for exploring the country’s many outdoor attractions.
Here are some of the benefits of visiting Belize during the dry season:
- Mild weather: The weather in Belize during the dry season is generally mild and pleasant, making it ideal for sightseeing, hiking, and other outdoor activities.
- Sunny skies: The dry season in Belize is known for its sunny skies, with little rainfall. This means you can enjoy the country’s beautiful beaches, lush rainforests, and ancient Mayan ruins without having to worry about getting wet.
- Clear waters: The dry season is also the best time to go diving and snorkeling in Belize, as the waters are clearer and visibility is better.
- Less rainfall: With less rainfall during the dry season, you can be sure that your travel plans won’t be disrupted by bad weather.
Here are some specific examples of how you can enjoy the most of Belize during the dry season:
- November to February: The weather in November, December, January, and February is typically warm and sunny, with occasional showers. This is a great time to visit for swimming and sunbathing at the beaches of Ambergris Caye, exploring the Mayan ruins of Xunantunich, and diving in the Great Blue Hole.
- March to April: The weather in March and April is also typically warm and sunny, with occasional showers. This is a great time to visit for sailing and snorkeling in the cayes, hiking in the Cockscomb Basin Wildlife Sanctuary, and visiting the Belize Zoo.
While there are many great times to visit Belize, if you’re looking for the best weather and the most opportunities to enjoy the country’s outdoor activities, then we recommend visiting during the dry season, from November to April.
Climate in Belize
Summer Season in Belize
Belizean summers are hot and humid, with temperatures often ranging from 28°C to 31°C (82°F to 88°F). This season is characterized by long, sunny days, making it ideal for beach activities, snorkeling, and exploring the country's natural beauty, including its barrier reef and rainforests. Summer is also the beginning of the Atlantic hurricane season, with increased chances of tropical storms, especially towards the late summer months.
Rainy Season in Belize
The rainy season in Belize coincides with summer and extends into the early winter. It brings increased rainfall, usually in the form of short, heavy showers, often occurring in the late afternoon or evening. The rain revitalizes the lush landscapes and is crucial for the country's ecosystems. Despite the rainfall, temperatures remain warm, and the rain rarely disrupts travel plans significantly.
Winter Season in Belize
Winters in Belize are milder and less humid, with temperatures averaging around 24°C to 27°C (75°F to 81°F). This season is the peak tourist period, offering the most comfortable climate for outdoor activities, including exploring Mayan ruins, jungle excursions, and enjoying the diverse marine life. Winter provides an escape from colder climates, featuring pleasant weather conducive to experiencing Belize's rich cultural heritage and natural attractions.