Accommodations in South America
You can choose accommodations that match your trip goals, travel style, budget, and destination when you go to South America. This vast continent has an abundant selection of hotels, lodges, resorts, and rustic accommodations at different price points in areas from busy cities to secluded wilderness.
Your budget and travel style will inform what the best place to stay will be for you, but you should consider some of the top eco-lodges, boutique hotels, beachfront resorts, and mountain retreats in South America.
Eco-Lodges in the Amazon Rainforest
- Napo Wildlife Center (Yasuni National Park, Ecuador): Get up-close and personal with the Amazon Rainforest at this lodge deep in the Amazon Rainforest. The sustainable lodge is comfy, surrounded by wildlife and greenery for a truly immersive stay with great chances of seeing rare and unique animals.
- Tambopata Research Center (Tambopata National Reserve, Peru): Nestled in Peru’s dense portion of the Amazon Rainforest, this green, remote lodge with 1,000 feet of elevated walkways and basic amenities for guests is positioned perfectly for views and getting photos of wildlife and lush rainforest scenery in a wild and untamed nature preserve.
Urban Boutique Hotels
- Hotel Fasano Rio de Janeiro (Rio de Janeiro, Brazil): In the heart of bustling and historic Rio de Janeiro, this boutique hotel offers authentically styled guest rooms, jaw-dropping views of Ipanema Beach, and an onsite restaurant serving fresh seafood and local cuisine with modern twists. The hotel is filled with dark, Brazilian wood, marble, and onyx accents.
- Alvear Palace Hotel (Buenos Aires, Argentina): Located in Argentina’s Buenos Aires, the Alvear Palace Hotel is where you’ll find luxe rooms filled with Louis XVI-era furniture, a full-service spa to unwind, as well as 3 onsite restaurants with a rooftop bar offering stunning views.
- Nannai Resort & Spa (Ipojuca, Brazil): For unmatched ocean views and a touch of pure luxury, the Nannai Resort and its private beach is an excellent option for travelers heading to Brazil. Enjoy several pools, balconies with ocean views and hammocks, and options for private pools, split-level bungalows, or Jacuzzis with your Porto de Galinhas beachfront stay.
- Conrad Punta del Este Resort & Casino (Punta del Este, Uruguay): Situated in the tropical and sunny beach town of Punta del Este, this resort provides rooms right on Playa Brava with sea views, an onsite casino and 3 restaurants, tennis courts, a spa, and nightclubs for built-in entertainment.
- Explora Patagonia (Torres del Paine, Chile): Located in Torres del Paine National Park on the shores of Lake Pehoe, Explora Patagonia offers remote lodgings designed to showcase the rugged wilderness. Take guided outdoor adventures through the breathtaking Patagonian landscapes of the park and enjoy an onsite spa, horse stables, and a restaurant serving fresh, seasonal lunch and dinner meals.
- Inkaterra Machu Picchu Pueblo Hotel (Aguas Calientes, Peru): Sitting 6,600+ feet above sea level near Machu Picchu, this eco-friendly village-style hotel provides charming cottages with plunge pools, villas to rent, fireplaces, cloud forest trails, and a serene atmosphere close to one of Peru’s most popular wonders.
South America’s fascinating destinations will take you all over the continent, from the lush Amazon to the rugged mountains and sunny coasts. You’ll find excellent accommodations at various price points wherever you go in South America, but the lodges and resorts above have been rated as some of the absolute best.