Browse Expedia.com’s robust inventory of international and domestic flight deals! We may be compensated when you book after clicking on one of our links.
Flying is the most common and efficient way to reach Bosnia and Herzegovina, with Sarajevo International Airport (SJJ) in Sarajevo being one of the primary gateways to the country.
Here’s how to get to Bosnia and Herzegovina by air:
- From North America: Travelers from North America can find connecting flights to Sarajevo International Airport. Depart from major cities like New York, Chicago, or Toronto, and choose airlines like Lufthansa, Turkish Airlines, or Austrian Airlines for your journey to Bosnia and Herzegovina. Flight durations can vary based on your departure location and layovers but typically range from 10 to 14 hours.
- From Europe: Travelers from within Europe can find direct or short connecting flights to Sarajevo. Depart from cities like Vienna, Frankfurt, or Zurich, and choose airlines like Austrian Airlines, Lufthansa, or Swiss International Air Lines for your journey to Bosnia and Herzegovina. Flight durations are generally short, with most European flights taking 1 to 2 hours.
- From Asia: If you’re coming from Asia, you can catch connecting flights to Sarajevo via major European hubs like Istanbul, Vienna, or Zurich. Consider airlines like Turkish Airlines, Austrian Airlines, or Swiss International Air Lines for connecting to Bosnia and Herzegovina. Flight durations can vary, with typical total travel times ranging from 12 to 18 hours or more.
- From Other International Destinations: Bosnia and Herzegovina is accessible from various international locations. You can find flights from cities like Dubai, Doha, or Moscow. Airlines like Turkish Airlines, Qatar Airways, and Aeroflot offer routes to Bosnia and Herzegovina. Flight durations depend on your departure location and route but can range from 6 to 14 hours or more.
How Long Is the Flight to Bosnia?
The average flight time to Bosnia (assuming Sarajevo as the primary destination) can vary depending on the departure city, airline, and route. Here are approximate flight times from some of the most common origins:
- London, UK: Around 2.5 hours
- New York, USA: Approximately 9 to 10 hours (usually with a stopover)
- Dubai, UAE: About 5 to 6 hours
- Frankfurt, Germany: Around 1.5 to 2 hours
- Istanbul, Turkey: Approximately 1.5 hours
- Stockholm, Sweden: About 2.5 hours
- Vienna, Austria: Around 1 hour
- Amsterdam, Netherlands: Approximately 2 hours
These are estimated times and actual flight durations may vary based on the specific route, stopovers, and other factors. Direct flights may not be available from all locations, requiring connections through major European hubs.