San Juan is an exciting, lively city located in Puerto Rico. With incredible beaches, unique architecture, and rich history, this destination should be on everyone’s bucket list. But when is the best time to visit?
We’ll uncover options for the best, cheapest, least busy, and worst times to go depending on your budget, desired temperature, activities, and other factors.
Additionally, we’ll provide additional consideration to help when planning your excursion to San Juan and top recommendations for things to do and see while you’re there. By the end, you’ll feel well-equipped to start planning your dream trip to San Juan, Puerto Rico!
Why You Should Visit San Juan in 2023
San Juan is a vibrant city filled with unique culture, stunning natural beauty, and plenty of activities. Here are the four reasons you should visit San Juan
From quaint Old San Juan to amazing historical sites, San Juan has plenty of history to explore. Whether you’re interested in Spanish colonial buildings and forts or exploring 19th-century museums, San Juan is the perfect place for history lovers.
San Juan is home to some of Puerto Rico’s most beautiful beaches. From popular surf spots to secluded coves, you’ll find a beach for every type of traveler. Soak up some rays, take a dip in warm waters, or even take a sailing lesson – whatever you’re into, San Juan has it all.
Puerto Rican cuisine is something to be celebrated. You’ll find seafood dishes, traditional mofongo and alcapurrias, and even some international flavors. No matter what your tastes are, you’ll find something delicious to eat each day you’re in San Juan.
Finally, San Juan is known for its lively festivals and events. Whether you’re looking for outdoor concerts, cultural celebrations, or art exhibitions, there’s something happening in San Juan year-round.
The Best Time to Visit San Juan
The best time to visit San Juan is from April to June. During the springtime, temperatures are comfortable, and rain showers tend to be brief.
This is also outside peak season for tourists, which is December to March, so you won’t have to deal with as many crowds and lines. April and June are ideal months for outdoor activities like beach trips or exploring the city’s amazing historical sites.
It’s also great for those looking to save money on their vacation, as prices tend to be lower during this time due to fewer tourists. That said, you’ll be able to get better deals on lodging, food, and activities.
December to March is another excellent time to visit San Juan. It’s peak tourist season not only because it’s the period of time with the least rain and hottest, driest weather but also because of the Holiday season.
If you go in December, you should expect crowds, which can be bothersome for some people but is ideal for those looking to party or attend events with plenty of people around.
Cheapest Time to Visit San Juan
January, September, and October tend to be the cheapest months to visit San Juan. In January, you’ll be able to score post-holiday deals and discounts once massive amounts of tourists leave the island after Christmas and New Year.
This month is also during the dry season, so you won’t need to worry about rain too much, and you can enjoy the mid-80s temperatures while adventuring outdoors. January is also prime time for whale watching, which is a popular activity in San Juan.
September and October are also great times to visit, as the temperatures hover in the mid-80s and hurricane season is winding down. As a result, you’ll be able to find plenty of discounts on flights and hotels as the city is looking to fill up its spaces before peak season.
Overall, January, September, and October are great times to visit San Juan if you’re looking for discounts and want to explore the outdoors.
Least Busy Time to Visit San Juan
The least busy time to visit San Juan is between June and November, which is during the hurricane season. The hurricane season prevents visitors from coming to San Juan because of the risks associated with hurricanes.
Temperatures during this time are hot and humid, making it less ideal for outdoor activities. However, this is a fantastic time to visit if you’re looking for a quieter San Juan.
Prices tend to be lower, and there are fewer crowds, so travelers who don’t mind the humidity and risk of a hurricane can find some great deals.
There are also plenty of indoor opportunities to take advantage of, like museums and restaurants, so travelers can still get a well-rounded San Juan experience without having to worry about the weather.
Worst Time to Visit San Juan
The worst time to visit San Juan is from June until November and August, as this is the extreme rainy season.
The average rainfall in August in San Juan is 7 inches of rain, which can surely put a damper on outdoor activities such as beach lounging, swimming, trekking, and sightseeing.
Not only is August a wet month, but the temperatures tend to be very hot and humid, making it difficult for most people to take full advantage of their vacation.
However, this month may be an acceptable fit for some people, as prices tend to be lower due to fewer tourists, and those who don’t mind rain can still find plenty of exciting, educational, or entertaining indoor activities.
Things to Consider
Now that you have a better idea of when to visit San Juan, here’s a brief list of things to consider when planning your trip:
- Transportation. The best way to get to San Juan is by flying, and the best way to get around San Juan is by renting a car. Try to book your flights and car rentals in advance to save money.
- Culture & Customs. Puerto Ricans are known for their hospitality, so make sure to be respectful of the local customs and culture. Read up on the etiquette before you go so you can blend in with the locals.
- Weather. Be sure to check the forecast before you plan any outdoor activities, as San Juan’s weather can be unpredictable at times, especially if you’re visiting during the rainy season between April and November.
- Local Food & Drink. Try local and traditional Puerto Rican foods while you’re in San Juan, such as alcapurrias, rellenos de papa, mofongo, pernil, empanadas, and arroz con habichuelas.
- Natural Disasters. Puerto Rico is susceptible to natural disasters such as hurricanes, earthquakes, and floods. Be sure to monitor the weather before and during your trip so you can be prepared in case of an emergency.
- Safety. In addition to natural disasters, there are other safety concerns in San Juan, such as the possibility of pickpocketing, scamming, and other petty crimes. San Juan is a safe city overall and one of the safest in Puerto Rico, but always be alert regarding your surroundings and take common precautions.
Specific Attractions to Consider
Here are specific attractions you won’t want to miss in San Juan:
- Castillo San Felipe del Morro – Spanish citadel built in the 16th century
- Museo de Arte de Puerto Rico – Puerto Rican art in a neoclassical museum
- Parque de las Palomas – excellent, scenic park perfect for bird watching
- El Yunque National Forest – Lush rainforest located east of San Juan and home to many exotic species
- Barrio de Santurce – vibrant neighborhood full of street art, galleries, and restaurants
- Viejo San Juan – historic district filled with
- Condado Beach – a bustling beach filled with plenty of hotels, eateries, and bars
- Centro de Bellas Artes Luis A. Ferré – popular performing arts center
- Jardín Botánico de la UPR – 30,000 plants in a manicured, expansive garden
- Isla Verde Beach – hotels, jet ski rentals, and more on this lively beach
These are just a few attractions you can discover while exploring San Juan.
Frequently Asked Questions
What else do you want to know about San Juan? Here are our answers to related questions about when to go to this city.
What is the best month to visit San Juan?
March is the ultimate best month to visit San Juan for optimal weather, fewer crowds, and moderate pricing.
What are the rainy months in Puerto Rico?
April through November are the rainy months in Puerto Rico. The weather gets particularly rainy between June and November, which is also considered the hurricane season. During this time, you should be extra vigilant and prepared for bad weather.
What is hurricane season in Puerto Rico?
Hurricane season is from June through November. It’s one of the riskiest times to visit but also the cheapest and least crowded. If you go during this time, pay close attention to weather alerts.
How many days is enough in San Juan?
Although it’s relatively compact, we recommend 4-5 full days in San Juan, which will give you enough time to explore and around the city.
What is the cheapest month to go to Puerto Rico?
January is the cheapest month to go to Puerto Rico because it’s the low season, and you can secure post-holiday deals on flights, hotels, excursions, and more. So, if you’re trying to save money, this is the best time to visit San Juan.
So, When Should You Travel to San Juan?
San Juan is an unforgettable place to visit any time of the year, but understanding the best time to visit San Juan for your particular needs and preferences will ensure you have an amazing experience.
While the best time overall is between April and June, other times of the year may be cheaper, warmer, livelier, or less crowded, so it’s best to choose which factors you wish to prioritize and which ones you’re okay compromising on. Have a great trip!