Located in central Florida, Orlando is home to a man-made fantasy land of theme parks and is a vacation spot in the Sunshine State that attracts millions of visitors yearly.
Orlando is about an hour away from crystal clear, white sand beaches, such as Cocoa Beach, Daytona Beach, and Ponce Inlet.
Best known for Universal Studios and Disney World, this popular tourist destination has much more to offer visitors, including a tropical climate, amusement parks, plenty of shopping, restaurants, and nightlife, and a superb selection of luxury resorts.
Are you thinking about visiting Orlando?
Keep reading to discover more about the best and worst times to visit and discover some of our best tips to consider when planning your holiday to the beautiful tropical oasis of Orlando, Florida.
Why You Should Visit Orlando
Did you know Orlando is home to some of the most trusted hotels worldwide? Orlando prides itself on offering top-class resorts in the area.
With over 450 hotels to pick from, this tropical destination takes health and safety into strict consideration by following restrictions for all guests. Browse hotels to find the perfect accommodation for your stay in beautiful Orlando.
After choosing the hotel that is just right for you, check out some Orlando theme parks, such as Jurassic Park, Aquatic Orlando, Discovery Cove, and the Museum of Illusions.
Spend the day cooling off in a water-themed park or enjoy the thrill of visiting one of the other top theme parks found in Orlando. Orlando boasts the largest music festival in the nation, featuring outdoor music concerts and comedy shows.
Or if music isn’t your thing, take in some retail therapy with your choice of several premium outlet stores for non-stop shopping.
If it’s sandy beaches you’re looking for, there are plenty to choose from close to Orlando that offer plenty of waves to lap up the Florida sunshine on your holiday adventure to your vacation destination of Orlando.
Overall Best Time to Visit Orlando
The best time of the year to plan a trip to Orlando is between March and May. These months of the year offer the best temperatures for your vacation so you can take in outdoor activities in the Florida sunshine.
Enjoy daily highs between 50 to 80 degrees for plenty of fun in the sun on your holiday to sunny Orlando. Other benefits of visiting Orlando during the Fall include:
- Lower hotel rates compared to peak seasons of the year
- More selections of hotel accommodations to choose from
- Cheaper plane tickets during off-season months
- Smaller crowds at popular attractions during the off-season
- Discounted attraction tickets during off-season
Alternatively, if you plan your vacation to Orlando between September to November, the weather is also favorable, and hotel rates and airfare are reasonable. However, fall is also hurricane season in Orlando.
So, by planning your vacation during autumn, you risk the chance of nasty weather. However, if you don’t mind taking in some indoor adventures, you can save money by visiting Orlando in autumn.
Choosing to visit Orlando between May to August will result in extreme heat, humidity, and unbearable temperatures for your holiday.
Hotel prices are at their highest when students are out of school during the summer and from November to February. So if you choose to visit during this time, be prepared to share your space with plenty of students on summer vacation.
Cheapest Time to Visit Orlando
Late January to early February is the cheapest time to visit Orlando because many families can’t afford to travel after spending money over the Christmas holidays.
Hotel and airfare are generally lower during this time to attract more travelers. Family attractions are also less crowded and more enjoyable with fewer waiting lines to get on the rides.
The first weeks of January are home to Disney Marathon and the Martin Luther King holiday. Mid-February hosts Mardi Gras in Orlando. So make sure not to book your holiday during this time as prices will be jacked up to accommodate tourists.
If you do book your vacation during the holidays, expect busier crowds at popular attractions and higher prices for hotel stays and attraction tickets.
September to November is another less-expensive time to visit Orlando after children have returned to school, except for Labour Day and Thanksgiving holidays when tourists aren’t working and prices are higher.
Because many families choose to travel when their children are out of school, so they can accompany them on their vacation, September to November is a quieter time to visit Orlando.
Least Busy Time to Visit Orlando
From January and early February, and September and October when the kids go back to school are some of the less-busy times to visit Orlando.
Other benefits of visiting Orlando during these off-peak months include:
- Enjoy fewer crowds at local attractions
- Find lower hotel rates during off-peak seasons
- More discounts on area attractions are offered online and at resorts during off-peak seasons
- Save overall on your vacation costs during the off-season
- Cheaper flights can be found during the off-season
- Enjoy quiet time at the hotels and resorts with fewer people at the pool and restaurants
Worst Time to Visit Orlando
The hot summer, from the end of May to late August, is the worst time to plan your vacation in Orlando due to several reasons. The weather is not only extremely hot and humid during summer.
But, it’s also hurricane season in Orlando. Topped off with heavy winds and rainfall, traveling this time of the year can put a damper on your holiday in the sunshine state.
If you think that summertime is a less busy time for visitors to Orlando. Think again. Summer is often one of the busiest times for tourists to visit the sunshine state because children are out of school for the summer.
This is another reason summer is the worst time of the year to travel to Orlando. Prices are often higher because kids are out of school during this time and many families like to travel when their kids can accompany them on vacation.
So, Orlando can be a busy place during the summer holidays with families vacationing. If you do plan to visit Orlando during the summer months, you can make the best of your vacation by following these tips:
- Planning indoor activities to avoid extreme weather conditions
- Paying close attention to the weather forecast and planning your trip itinerary accordingly
- Enjoy your family time together with your kids out of school
- Make sure to keep well hydrated in the extremely hot weather, and wear a sunhat to help prevent heat exhaustion
- Enjoy indoor shopping in the air-conditioned stores of Orlando on your vacation
- Hit up the beach often to stay cool and refreshed. Remember to bring an umbrella for shade
- Find a resort with a well-shaded outdoor pool area to beat the heat on your sunny vacation
- Take in some indoor shows and live entertainment to get a break from the sun
Things to Consider
Orlando is a beautiful Florida vacation destination no matter what time of the year you decide to travel.
However, now that you know the best time of the year to visit Orlando, here are some tips to consider to ensure your vacation is the best it can be on your holiday to the Sunshine State of Florida.
- Compare flight and hotel prices online before booking. There are often many websites competing for your business and there are deals to be found
- Shop for coupons for local attractions and save yourself some money at the gates
- Explore less-popular attractions and discover the hidden treasures of Orlando
- Consider a hotel room with a kitchenette and cook your meals instead of eating out at expensive tourist area restaurants
- Remember to pack essentials, such as medicine, sunscreen, and bug spray because these items can be expensive when purchased in tourist destinations
- Compare customer reviews of accommodations and attractions to help make the best choices
- Shop around for package deals because many hotels offer tickets to major attractions in the booking price
- Shop for vacation rentals. Sometimes you can find excellent deals on vacation homes if you shop around before booking a hotel
- Invest in cancellation insurance in case plans change
- Book ahead of time. Prices tend to go up at the last minute. It’s always wise to book your trip early
Frequently Asked Questions
Orlando is a breathtaking tourist destination that is popular among many visitors. However, there is so much to consider when planning your holiday to this sun-filled destination.
Here are some frequently asked questions and answers to further assist with your vacation planning to the tropical oasis of Orlando, Florida.
When should you not go to Orlando?
When planning your holiday to Orlando, the best time to avoid this destination is during the summer time between May and early September, during the busy holiday seasons, and during Spring break from mid-March to mid-April.
The temperature in the summer is not only scorching. But, this time of the year is also hurricane season in Orlando.
What is the rainy season in Orlando Florida?
The rainiest time of the year in Orlando is from late May to mid-October when the area receives over 60% of its annual rainfall amounts during these months. Accompanying the rainfall, expect to see above-average humidity, strong winds, and possible hurricanes.
When is the best time to visit Disney World in Orlando, Florida?
The best time to visit Disney World and other popular attractions in Orlando is when the children are in school. September is considered the best month to visit Disney World because not only is it less populated.
But, the prices are also usually discounted and there are fewer wait times to get on rides.
However, most families choose to bring their children on holidays with them, so unless you are willing to pull your children from school to accompany you on off-peak travel times, expect crowds in this bust tourist destination.
Is Orlando worth visiting?
Orlando is often called “the theme park capital” and is a much-loved destination for many visitors. Besides theme parks, there are plenty of attractions in the area for the whole family to enjoy.
These include palm trees, wildlife, shopping, restaurants, nightlife, and nearby sandy white beaches of the Atlantic Ocean. Orlando is a holiday destination worth visiting.
Why do so many tourists visit Orlando?
Orlando is a popular tourist destination because the weather is tropical all year long and there is never snow. Many visitors come to enjoy the outdoors, including botanical gardens, water-related activities, beaches, golfing, and spotting wildlife.
Besides outdoor adventures, Orlando is also home to many amusement and water-themed parks that tourists love to visit.
What is Orlando most known for?
Orlando is known as the destination for the popular Disney World and Universal Studios which attracts many visitors each year.
However, besides Disney World, Orlando has plenty to offer vacationers, including warm weather, lots of sunshine, panoramic views, wildlife, shopping malls, restaurants, nightlife, and ample amusement parks for the entire family to enjoy.
So, What’s the Best Time to Visit Orlando?
Orlando is a breathtaking destination to visit any time of the year. Whether you are traveling with your family or you’re a spring-breaker looking for adventure, there is something for everyone to enjoy.
Depending on your reason for travel, there are certain times of the year when the crowds are not as large and your vacation may be quieter.
Regardless of when you choose to travel, I hope we have offered some good travel advice to make your holiday to the tropical oasis of Orlando, Florida more enjoyable. Happy travels!