What's the best time to visit Cairo?
The best times to visit Cairo are from March to April and from October to November when the weather is comfortable for sightseeing. If you don’t mind cooler temperatures, December to February can be a less crowded option.
On the other hand, May to September can be quite hot, but it’s a good time for diving in the Red Sea. For a well-rounded experience, consider visiting Cairo in March to April or October to November when the weather is just right for exploration.
Imagine you could take a step back in time to witness the grandeur of the ancient Pharaohs. Cairo, with its ancient ruins and bustling modern life, is a city of contrasts that will enchant even the most seasoned traveler. But what’s the best time to visit? Here’s our take.
The Overall Best Time to Visit Cairo
Generally, the best time to visit Cairo is between March to April and between October to November. During these months, the temperatures are colder but still comfortably warm for touring.
This weather allows you to comfortably explore the crowded streets of Cairo, the Pyramids in the desert, and old Pharaonic tombs. Between December and February, the weather in Cairo is normally cold.
During the day, the average temperature is about 60 °F, and you may experience refreshing breezes in the evenings. Most tourists like visiting the area during the season since there’s no scorching sun, and they can comfortably walk without sweating.
Although visiting Cairo during this period may seem exciting, you may experience some challenges. Expect large crowds at the main tourist attraction sites like the Pyramids of Giza.
March to April is the best time to visit Cairo. During this season, the average temperature during the day is between 70-80°F, and the nights are usually cold. You can take advantage of this season to the Western Desert and enjoy some outdoor activities.
Between May to September, Cairo experiences summer, meaning the temperatures are quite high. The temperature usually ranges from 85-94 °F, but it can still go higher.
Although most people don’t like visiting Cairo this season, you can still visit the area, especially if you’re a diver. You’ll get an opportunity to dive in the red sea and Sharm el-Sheikh and cool your body off.
Tourism activities return to their peak between October to November. These months mark the fall season. The average temperature during the day is between 70-80°F, which is bearable.
Cheapest Time to Visit Cairo
The cheapest time to visit Cairo is between May-September. During this period, the daytime temperature is quite hot. On average, it ranges from 85-94 °F or even higher.
High temperatures make it difficult to tour the city since you can’t walk without sweating. Lack of rain also makes the city look less attractive. Generally, most tourists don’t like traveling during the warm months.
Most hotel rooms will be empty, and the accommodation fee will be quite low. Also, flight tickets and car rental rates are quite affordable during this season.
Look for ways to beat the heat and take advantage of the season to tour your dream destination. For instance, you can ensure you carry a water bottle when you go outside.
When you book a hotel or vacation rental, check if the rooms have a functioning AC to help you keep temperatures down. Most importantly, dress lightly and carry sunscreen to protect your skin from sunburns.
Another time you can enjoy relatively low prices when visiting Cairo is in early March. By early March, the winter season will have ended, welcoming the warm months unsuitable for Cairo tourism activities.
Least Busy Time to Visit Cairo
The least busy time to visit Cairo is between May and September. The hot temperatures during this period discourage most people from visiting the area.
Nevertheless, if you find a way to protect yourself from the scorching sun and hot temperature, you can find some things to do and make your visit worthwhile.
Fewer crowds at tourist destination sites also allow you to study the sites at your own pace and discover some important things. You can also mingle with the locals without pressure and ask them to tell you more about their history and culture.
The best thing about the less busy season is that you’ll spend less money but still enjoy yourself since hotel and flight rates during this period are quite affordable. You may also find car rentals at pocket-friendly prices, allowing you to navigate the city comfortably.
Early March is also a less busy time to visit Cairo. This season is when the winter months are over, and summer starts to set in. Most visitors vacate the hotels, forcing the managers to lower prices.
Worst Time to Visit Cairo
The worst time to visit Cairo is during the sandstorm season, normally occurring during March, when winter is over and summer has started.
Around this time of year, the sand-loaded khamsin wind starts to blow, causing sandstorms. Sandstorms can disrupt your vacation in various ways. They may force airports to cancel flights, make it hard for feluccas to sail in Aswan, and make sightseeing impossible due to poor visibility.
When you visit Cairo during the sandstorm season, prepare for emergencies. Consider including one or two extra days in your vacation schedule if things don’t go as planned.
Also, look for ways to protect yourself from the sandstorm effects. Carry a facemask on your vacation and stay hydrated at all times. When in Cairo, keep checking online or local news to know when sandstorms are likely to happen and remain indoors.
Another worst time to visit Cairo is from June to August. During this period, the temperatures are scorching, and they may go as high as 98°F.
Such temperatures make participating in outdoor activities like zip lining, go-kart racing, and kayaking challenging. The main thing you can enjoy doing during this period is diving in the Red Sea, but you have to be good at it.
Things to Consider
Knowing when to travel to Cairo is essential. However, that’s not enough. You should also know the dos and don’ts during your vacation to make the best of it. Here are some of them:
- Drink purified water. The water in Cairo contains high chlorine levels, affecting its taste. If you’re planning to visit Cairo, buying bottled water is the best way to survive, especially if you have a sensitive stomach. The last thing you’d want to experience is a stomach upset when on vacation.
- Stay hydrated. The weather in Cairo is quite hot since it’s located in Egypt, a desert. The harsh weather can cause dehydration, reducing the chances of enjoying your vacation. When you visit Cairo, stay hydrated as much as you can. Also, remember to wear loose-fitting clothes to beat the heat.
- Taxis are cheap. Getting around Cairo is not difficult for visitors since taxis are available. Provided you have an UBER app on your phone, you can order a taxi, which will take you wherever you want at a pocket-friendly price.
- Remember to tip. Tipping is one of the best ways to appreciate the people who offer you various services, especially at restaurants. In Egypt, tipping is an expected form of appreciation. Once you finish eating, tip the waiters and waitresses to encourage them to serve you better.
- Dress modestly. Egypt is an Islamic nation. Naturally, Islamic people are conservative. The women wear clothes that cover their bodies, including hijabs and headscarves. Although these rules don’t apply to tourists, dress modestly when visiting tourist sites, especially the monuments.
- Book in advance. Most tourists typically visit Cairo during the peak season. The visitors go for the best hotels and vacation rentals, and you may lack a place to stay if you don’t book early. To avoid such issues, book your accommodation in advance. Book at least one or two months in advance to be safer.
So, What’s the Best Time to Visit Cairo?
Cairo is one of the best places to visit in the world due to the wide range of tourist destination sites. Generally, the best time to visit Cairo is during winter (between December and February), when the temperatures are friendly, allowing you to enjoy outdoor activities.
If you’re on a budget, consider visiting the city between May and September, but the temperatures are quite high during this time. So, with so much to see and do, what are you waiting for — book our trip to Cairo today!