What's the best time to visit Breckenridge?
The best times to visit Breckenridge are in winter (December–March) for skiing and snow activities or in summer (mid-June–August) for outdoor adventures and festivals.
Winter offers skiing, snowmobiling, and events like Ullr Fest, while summer is ideal for hiking, biking, and attending festivals like WAVE and the Breckenridge Summer Beer Festival, with pleasant temperatures ranging from 35°F to 67°F.
Deciding on the best time to visit Breckenridge ultimately comes down to picking the ideal season that will make your stay in this stunning town all the more special.
But here’s the thing: being a four-season destination means every season is ideal for visiting Breckenridge — you just have to pick the activities you wish to engage in and match them with the corresponding climate.
Add your budget, crowd preferences, and other travel details to the mix, and you have yourself the perfect Coloradan itinerary. As always, we’re here to assist you in the process.
Without any further ado, let’s get stuck in!
The Overall Best Time to Visit Breckenridge
The best time to visit Breckenridge is either in winter (December–March) or in summer (mid-June–August). Considering Breckenridge is primarily a ski resort town, it only makes sense that winters are an absolute delight.
With that said, warm-weather travelers can enjoy Breckenridge differently but equally fulfilling. If you opt for the winter period, get ready for Breckenridge’s peak ski season.
Going early in December means the ski terrain may not be at its best yet, but the slopes are ideal if you’re going with kids or first-time skiers. Besides skiing, you can join one of the top Colorado snowmobile tours. Alternatively there’s snowshoeing and tubing.
The winter months have temperatures between 1°F and 22°F. If skiing isn’t your jam, you can always take a stroll downtown, enjoy the holiday decorations, drink hot cocoa, and even attend some local festivities.
Popular events at this time include:
- Ullr Fest (December), to honor the Norse God of snow (Ullr) and join the Main Street parade;
- Annual International Snow Sculpture Championships (January), a world-famous snow sculpting competition taking snow sculptures’ beauty to the next level;
- Mardi Gras (February), and choose masks, beads, and revelry based on your preferences.
The summer months are great for hiking, biking, rafting (in the Kremmling area), fly fishing, horseback riding, and golfing, to name a few.
Summer visitors should also mark their calendars for some of the summer festivals and celebrations, such as:
- WAVE: Light + Water + Sound (June) — join visitors who rave about the culling-edge art and illuminated sculptures;
- Fourth of July (July) — take part in local Independence Day celebrations;
- Breckenridge Summer Beer Festival (July) — explore what local breweries have to offer;
- Breckenridge Wine Classic (August) — various tasty experiences, from wine tasting to fine dining;
- Lastly, the Breckenridge International Festival of Arts (August) is a celebration of creativity and adventure accompanied by visual arts entertainment, live music, dancing, and fun.
Summer sees temperatures varying between 35°F and 67°F.
Cheapest Time to Visit Breckenridge
The cheapest time to visit Breckenridge is in April. It’s when you can come across nice accommodation rates and affordable airfare tickets.
Also, keep in mind that not all ski slopes are functional in early April, so double-check weather conditions and the overall snow situation; most activities in Breckenridge at this time are still somewhat snow-dependent.
Finally, note that ski passes and accommodation options are generally the most expensive during weekends and around holidays. So, if you’re trying to go easy on your wallet, avoid them at all costs. April has average lows of 13.5 °F and highs of 34°F.
Least Busy Time to Visit Breckenridge
The least busy time to visit Breckenridge is in the fall (September–November), when visitors can fully soak in the town’s landscape and nature without the summer chaos.
The beginning of the school season leaves very few travelers in the city as both parents and kids return to their daily routines. Breckenridge’s fall colors are nothing short of spectacular (tip: they are at their best during the third week in September) — the fall foliage alone is enough to visit the city at this time.
Besides leaf peeping, other popular activities at this time include going on scenic drives, fly fishing, ghost tours, and hiking, to name a few.
Finally, just because the peak season crowds are gone doesn’t mean Breckenridge’s festivals aren’t running full steam — here are the best ones to be on the lookout for:
- Breckenridge Oktoberfest (September), honoring a long-standing beer tradition;
- Breckenridge Film Festival (September) is organized across three venues: The Riverwalk Center, Breck Backstage Theater, and The Eclipse Theater;
- Breckenridge Strings, Ciders & Sours (September) is for those keen to taste some of the most lovely beverages out there;
- Breckenridge Craft Spirits Festival (October) is ideal for bonding with locals, seeing what local distilleries have to offer, and partaking in some entertaining museum and history tours.
September, October, and November welcome guests with lows of 11°F and highs of 57°F.
Worst Time to Visit Breckenridge
The worst time to visit Breckenridge is anytime from May to mid-June. The gondola is closed, and you can’t hike because it’s still quite muddy snowmelt.
Mountain biking isn’t on the table just yet, either, and most summer activities are also pending the weather’s approval. To make things even worse, many local restaurants or shops are closed.
However, this may not be so bad if you hope to simply soak in Breckenridge’s stunning scenery, relax without having too many itinerary expectations, and just be flexible with your journey on the whole.
Plus, there are some fun events to be on the lookout for, such as the 10 Mile Pride (June). May and June’s temperatures oscillate between lows of 23°F and highs of 61°F.
Things to Consider
Wish to make the most out of your Breckenridge adventure? Follow our travel tips to ensure a trouble-free visit:
- Go car-free during your stay, as most points of interest are within walking distance. Also, most lodges have a private guest shuttle and offer it for free. The town itself provides both residents and guests with free public transportation as well.
- Once you’re there, visit Breckenridge Welcome Center to get some recommendations and useful tips and information.
- If you go skiing in Breckenridge, bookmark lift tickets, trail map, and live webcams.
- Buy a seasonal pass and save big.
- Certain areas on the ski slopes are slow zones. Know where you are located at all times, and follow overall traffic on the slopes to avoid any accidents.
- According to Colorado law, skiers can’t board lifts if they don’t have the required physical dexterity, knowledge, and ability to do so. Also, those under the influence of alcohol or any drugs are prohibited from using the lifts or the ski trails.
- If you decide to ski or snowboard off the designated trails by heading to areas with deep snow, understand that in doing so, you accept the risks such a decision comes with.
- Winter sports enthusiasts are advised to wear helmets for extra protection, although it’s up to you to decide whether you’ll wear one or not.
- Certain visitors may experience symptoms related to Breckenridge’s high-altitude environment, such as loss of appetite, nausea, headaches, difficulty breathing, and so on. While they’re more than common and more than likely to go away on their own, if they persist, don’t hesitate to ask for medical attention.
- SPF is a must — especially at such high altitudes where the sun is much stronger.
So, What’s the Best Time to Visit Breckenridge?
|👍 Best Time to Visit
|December-March & June-August
|💲 Cheapest Time to Visit
|🗓️ Least Busy Time to Visit
|👎 Worst Time to Visit
The best time to visit Breckenridge is either in winter (December–March) or in summer (mid-June–August). Winters turn Breckenridge into a true winter sports hub, and summers lure travelers with a myriad of outdoor activities.
All in all, Breckenridge is an interesting destination worth your attention — whether you visit in summer for the fun recreational activities or in winter for the thrill of skiing, your Breckenridge getaway will be nothing short of exciting. Happy travels!