Browse Expedia.com’s robust inventory of international and domestic flight deals! We may be compensated when you book after clicking on one of our links.
Most people get to Australia by plane. Flying is the fastest and most efficient way to reach the country with 13 international airports available around the major tourist destinations. Sydney, Melbourne, and Brisbane are the most popular entry points for travelers around the world.
- From North America and Europe: Flying to Australia from North America or Europe is convenient with plenty of direct or connecting flights to destinations like Sydney, Melbourne, and Brisbane. When you depart from major cities in North America and Europe like Los Angeles, Vancouver, New York, London, or Paris, you can find frequent daily flights to Australia that take anywhere from 15-24 hours on average.
- From Asia: Reaching Australia from Asia takes much less time than traveling from North America or Europe. You’ll find lots of direct flights and some connecting options from Asian cities like Singapore, Hong Kong, and Tokyo. Fly with Japan Airlines, Singapore Airlines, or Cathay Pacific with average direct flight durations ranging from 7-10 hours.
- From Other International Locations: With 13 major airports in Australia, there are plenty of flight routes operating on a daily basis to and from other countries around the world. Fly direct or on a connecting flight from South America or South Africa to reach Australia by plane. Flight times vary widely based on your departure location and route, but generally take 14-20+ hours.
How Long Is the Flight to Australia?
The average flight time to Australia can vary significantly depending on the departure city. Here are approximate flight times from some of the most common origins:
- Sydney, Australia: Since Sydney is in Australia, the flight time would depend on the city of departure within Australia
- New York, USA: Approximately 21 hours and 46 minutes
- London, UK: Around 21 hours and 37 minutes
- Paris, France: About 19 hours and 20 minutes (21 hours and 5 minutes to Sydney)
- São Paulo, Brazil: Approximately 17 hours and 8 minutes
- Los Angeles, USA: Around 17 hours on average (15 hours and 29 minutes to Sydney and more than 18 hours to Perth)
- Johannesburg, South Africa: Approximately 11 hours and 40 minutes (14 hours and 15 minutes to Sydney)
- Beijing, China: About 11 hours and 35 minutes
These durations are estimates and can vary depending on specific routes, airlines, wind speeds, and the destination city within Australia.