From the iconic Koutoubia Mosque and the labyrinthine Medina with its ancient souks, to the upscale Gueliz neighborhood and the decadent Jardin Majorelle, Marrakech offers a whirlwind of experiences.
Whether you take a break to sip mint tea in ornate courtyards or marvel at the city’s vibrant colors and lively atmosphere, the timeless charm of Marrakech is bound to enchant you at every turn. Read on to find out more about where to stay in Marrakech!
Why You Should Visit Marrakech in 2023
Marrakech is a city with a rich history, founded a thousand years ago. From the 11th century onwards, it has seen a lot of changes, both historic and cultural, but it has remained as enchanting as ever.
Since the independence of Morocco in 1956, it became a haven for artists like Andy Warhol, film directors like Alfred Hitchcock, and actors and musicians like The Beatles and The Rolling Stones.
Moreover, Marrakech is home to one of the most beautiful gardens in the world, Jardin Majorelle, created by the painter and artist Jacques Majorelle in 1923. It opened to the public in 1947, but by the middle of the 20th century, it fell into disrepair due to a lack of funding.
However, in the 1980s, it was bought by the famous designer Yves Saint Laurent and his partner Pierre Bergé. Nowadays, it’s a museum and garden, open to visitors once more.
Jardin Majorelle is one of the many reasons why you should visit Marrakech. The old town called Medina is another must-visit place, as is the palm oasis Palmeraie, which we’ll cover in more detail in a bit.
But the great thing about Marrakech is that it also offers you the possibility to take respite outside the city because of its proximity to the Atlas Mountains and parts of the Sahara Desert, where you can go on excursions and ride camels, as well as explore Berber villages.
Without further ado, let’s take a look at the three best parts of Marrakech.
The Best Places to Stay in Marrakech
While there are many parts of the Marrakech, we think three really stand out as the best in which to stay. These include:
- Medina: The place to be if you want to spend the night partying
- Gueliz: The ideal fitness vacation destination, with plenty of sports courts and outdoor activities
- Palmeraie: The perfect rural retreat to enjoy the scenery
The Best Areas & Hotels in Marrakech:
Generally speaking, the availability of accommodation and dining options in Marrakech is good, but it can vary depending on the season and the specific area you’re planning on staying in. Prices can range from very affordable to high-end, allowing you to choose based on your budget and preferences.
At popular restaurants and during peak tourist seasons, remember to reserve in advance, just to make sure that you get to experience those great places.
The Medina of Marrakech, also known as the “Old City” or “Medina of Marrakesh,” is the historic heart of this captivating Moroccan city. It’s a UNESCO World Heritage Site and one of the most iconic and vibrant medinas in North Africa.
The Medina is a maze-like labyrinth of narrow, winding streets and alleys that seem designed for you to get lost in. Its layout reflects the traditional Islamic concept of city planning, with a focus on privacy and protection from the harsh sun.
Within the Medina, you’ll discover architectural gems known as riads (traditional Moroccan houses with interior courtyards), as well as historic palaces and mosques adorned with intricate tilework and stucco decorations.
With its iconic minaret, the Koutoubia Mosque is a prominent landmark of the Marrakech Medina. It was built in the 12th century and has been proudly standing as Morocco’s largest mosque ever since.
While non-Muslims cannot enter, the mosque’s exterior and gardens are impressive, and we definitely think it’s a must-visit.
The Medina is also famous for its bustling souks, or markets, where you can haggle for everything from spices and textiles to jewelry, carpets, and traditional crafts. Each souk specializes in particular goods, creating a vibrant tapestry of colors and scents.
The Medina is also home to several historical sites, including the Bahia Palace, Saadian Tombs, and the Marrakech Museum, which offer insights into the city’s rich history and culture.
In the heart of it, you’ll find Jemaa el-Fnaa, a lively square that especially comes alive at night with food stalls, street vendors, and street performers. It’s a must-visit spot to soak in the city’s vibrant atmosphere.
Medina Budget Hotels
- The Central House Marrakech Medina is a three-star hotel with a great location in Marrakech’s Medina neighborhood, quite close to the Musée du Parfum. It has minimalist rooms with communal bathrooms, balconies, and a patio for visitors. It’s a very reasonable stay that offers excellent lodging for the cost.
- Riad Dar Attika is a great three-star, budget-friendly hotel. It has both the looks and the affordable price to ensure a comfy stay in excellent surroundings. The hotel has a beautiful rooftop terrace where you can experience the charm of the Moroccan nights. Riad Dar Attika also offers a rich complimentary breakfast every morning.
Medina Mid-Range Hotels
- Riad Dada Mouss & Suites is a three-star hotel in Medina. It’s a charming hotel in the middle of the old city, decorated in a traditional Moroccan style. It has a small outdoor pool, beautiful bright rooms with en suite bathrooms, and a great complimentary breakfast every morning. Reviewers were especially satisfied with the friendly and helpful staff.
- Riad Les Trois Palmiers El Bacha is a four-star hotel in the old Medina, just ten minutes away from Jemaa el-Fna square. It’s a great place to stay while in Marrakech, because it offers nice, comfy rooms in the traditional Moroccan style. The hotel also offers free traditional Moroccan breakfast every morning, and tea and Moroccan pastries during the day.
Medina Luxury Hotels
- Demeures d’Orient Riad & Spa is a beautiful five-star hotel in the Medina. The staff is excellent and will make you feel like royalty, and so will the surroundings. There’s an outdoor pool where you can swim, as well as a spa and wellness center with a traditional hammam. The rooms are whole suites with bedrooms, lounge rooms, and ensuite bathrooms. Also, continental breakfast is included in the room price.
- Palais Blanc Riad is an upscale four-star hotel. Its heavenly white-painted exteriors contrast with the blueness of the pool and will immediately capture your attention — you’ll find it very hard to resist staying here. But it’s not just how pretty this hotel looks — it’s also the quality of the service and the numerous amenities it offers, like massages, wellness treatments, stays in the spa and hammam, and lots more.
Gueliz is a modern cosmopolitan district in the heart of Marrakech, Morocco. Unlike the historic Medina, with its ancient architecture and winding alleys, Gueliz represents the contemporary side of Marrakech with a different, modern, and hip atmosphere.
Gueliz was established during the French colonial period in the early 20th century, and its layout is reminiscent of European cities, with their wide boulevards and a grid-like street pattern.
Walking its streets you’ll encounter European-inspired buildings, modern apartments, and upscale hotels.
The area is also home to Art Deco and Art Nouveau buildings, and we definitely recommend a stroll here, even if you’re staying in a different neighborhood, especially if you’re an architecture buff.
Gueliz is also known for its upscale boutiques and stores. The district boasts a lively shopping scene, offering everything from high-end fashion and jewelry to contemporary Moroccan art and home decor.
One place where you can find all this and more is the Carré Eden Shopping Center, a popular mall with lots of stores and food courts.
Now let’s cross to the artistic side of Gueliz. One of its most famous attractions are the Majorelle Gardens, designed by French painter Jacques Majorelle and purchased by the famous designer Yves Saint Laurent.
Now it stands as a museum and a garden open to visitors. If you’re an art aficionado and want to see something truly special in the heart of Marrakech, then this is a no-miss.
Gueliz Budget Hotels
- Hotel Safia is a three-star hotel in Gueliz near the main train station. It has a pool, and nice bright rooms with private bathrooms, air conditioning, and city views. It also has breakfast included in the room price. Considering its prime location, free breakfast, and nice rooms, it’s a very good value for your money accommodation option.
- Blue Sea Le Printemps is a four-star hotel that’s also close to the train station. It has spacious, cozy rooms with air conditioning, en suite bathrooms, and a balcony. There’s an outdoor swimming pool you can use as guests, and there’s also a restaurant and a hotel bar.
Gueliz Mid-Range Hotels
- 2Ciels Boutique Hôtel is a four-star boutique hotel in Gueliz, located near Parc El Harti and Marrakech Plaza. It offers spacious, elegant rooms (some) with seating areas, en suite bathrooms, and a minibar. The hotel has an outdoor pool and a spa center that guests love. Guests also loved the rich complimentary breakfast every morning and the friendly staff.
- Dellarosa Boutique Hotel and Spa is a four-star hotel in Hivernage, the neighborhood adjoining Gueliz, also very close to the Medina. It’s a beautiful hotel, with a nice spa and outdoor pool, spacious rooms with pool views or mountain views, en suite bathrooms, a minibar, and lots more. It also has two restaurants and a bar that offers a wide variety of drinks and dishes, blending international and local flavors. And, best of all, you can dine in an amazing setting, enjoying the panoramic backdrop of the Atlas Mountains.
Gueliz Luxury Hotels
- Radisson Blu Marrakech, Carré Eden is a luxury, five-star hotel from the famous Radisson brand. If you’re looking for the most luxurious hotel in all of Gueliz, then this is certainly it. It has an outdoor pool, a beautiful spa and wellness center, as well as a fitness center for its guests. It also has a bar and a restaurant, where you can have your free breakfast every morning. Guests particularly loved the friendly and professional staff.
- Bab Hotel is a four-star hotel in Gueliz with a swimming pool and a spa center. It has spacious and bright loft-style rooms with en suite bathrooms and a terrace or balcony. Breakfast is included in the room price, and some offers also have breakfast and dinner.
Palmeraie, also known as the Palm Grove of Marrakech, is a unique and luxurious district situated just a few kilometers northeast of the historic Medina. This suburban neighborhood is named for the thousands of palm trees that dot its landscape.
These tall, swaying palms provide a serene and picturesque backdrop that’s distinctly Moroccan.
Palmeraie is known for its luxury resorts, many of which are set amidst the vast palm groves creating a lush and green environment, making it a beautiful escape from the urban hustle and bustle.
These accommodations offer a serene and exclusive experience, with spacious gardens, swimming pools, and spa facilities. If you’re looking for something different than the dynamic but also sometimes exhausting energy of the city, then Palmeraie is the place to be in Marrakech.
The Palmeraie oasis is home to several golf courses, making it a popular destination for golf enthusiasts. These well-maintained courses offer scenic views of the palm groves and the Atlas Mountains.
You can experience the traditional mode of transportation in the desert by going on a camel ride through the Palmeraie.
It’s a peaceful and authentic way to explore the area. For a more adventurous experience, quad biking tours are also available. Palmeraie provides a serene and luxurious escape from the lively streets of Marrakech.
Whether you’re seeking relaxation, outdoor activities, or a peaceful atmosphere, this palm-filled oasis offers a unique and enchanting experience in Morocco’s Red City.
Palmeraie Budget Hotels
- Hotel Kasbah Le Mirage & Spa is a beautiful, small four-star hotel located on the banks of the Tensift River. All of the rooms are named after aromatic spices and decorated with traditional materials like tadelakt or bejmat and wrought iron. The hotel has an outdoor swimming pool, and a fitness center with a hammam, that also offers facial scrubs, massages, and numerous beauty treatments.
- Barceló Palmeraie may be a bit over budget for a budget hotel, but it’s well worth the price. With five stars, two swimming pools, a spa, and three amazing restaurants. Rooms are spacious, bright, and cozy, with air conditioning and a minibar. As “budget-friendly” as it gets in the luxurious Palmeraie!
Palmeraie Mid-Range Hotels
- Valeria Madina Club is a four-star all-inclusive hotel. It’s great value for your money because you get lots of amenities — like two big pools with waterslides, a spa and wellness center, and an all-you-can-eat-and-drink offer, so you basically have no other outside expenses.
- Hôtel Du Golf Rotana Palmeraie is a five-star hotel with a golf course. The hotel offers a variety of recreational options, like an enormous fitness center with trained personnel, an outdoor pool, and an indoor pool with a spa. The large suites feature balconies with views of the garden. Breakfast is included in the room price, and in some options, there’s also dinner included.
Palmeraie Luxury Hotels
- Palais Namaskar is a luxury five-star hotel, a beautiful architectural feat that flawlessly combines Asian, oriental, and contemporary design elements. It has 41 units of various types (rooms, suites, villas, and palaces). Most homes come with a private pool or plunge pool and are furnished with contemporary conveniences. Commanding more than 5 hectares of isolation and peace, the palace was built using the principles of Feng Shui and the healing effects of beauty.
- Tigmiza Boutique Hotel & Spa is a dreamy five-star hotel. It has elegant rooms with a mixture of Moroccan and classical design and decoration. Guests can use one of the three swimming pools, as well as the spa, wellness, and fitness center. The hotel also has a cinema room. If you want to take some tours, just ask the staff and they’ll happily organize them for you. Breakfast is included in the room price.
Over to You — Book Your Trip to Marrakech Today!
|🎉 Best for Nightlife||Medina|
|🥾 Best for Outdoor Activities||Gueliz|
|🌲 Best for Rural Areas||Palmeraie|
Marrakech is a city with lots of historical and cultural treasures. As we saw, it offers lots of places where you can stay — we couldn’t list them all, there are too many — and the best part is they suit any kind of traveler.
This is because Morocco is, generally speaking, not a very expensive country, although there are lots of luxury places you can stay and dine at if you want to splurge on a dreamy North African vacation.
So, with so much to see and do, what are you waiting for — book your trip today and experience for yourself all that this storied city has to offer. Happy travels!