If you want to find out where to stay in Fredericksburg TX, all you have to do is look at the wider region and check out the small Texan cities surrounding the main attraction.
There are some stunning, tucked-away rustic gems and luxurious hotels in the area for all types of trips. Whether you’re looking to stay in the heart of Fredericksburg or venture a little further out, you’ll find a great spot for lodging when you know all your options.
In this guide, we’re going to outline where to stay in Fredericksburg so you can pick the option that suits your budget and needs. Come along and join us on a ride to the wild, wild West!
Where to Stay in Fredericksburg, TX
Right in the heart of the huge state of Texas, there’s a place that looks like it came from the fantasy of some eccentric writer of adventure novels. It’s a German town in a cowboy-dominated culture.
That unexpected place is called the town of Fredericksburg, founded in the early year 1846 by Baron Otfried Hans von Meusebach. He was part of a global German immigration community in the land of the new hope.
The city, together with New Braunfels, is the center of a Texas German community with a distinctive dialect of English and a lively culture that combines the old and the new.
Fredericksburg and the neighboring towns – Kerrville, Boerne, and Wimberly – you’ll read about in this guide offer a unique experience that you definitely won’t see anywhere in the world.
But what exactly makes this experience so special?
Mainly, there’s the culture. All of these cities have been built in a peculiar way, and their downtowns testify to their mixed heritage. You’ll notice this in their architecture, the way the people speak, and their cuisine.
Most of all, you’ll notice their beer! Germany, as everybody knows, is famous for its beer and, consequently, there are a lot of breweries that you’ll have to visit. There are also museums, historic houses, and incredible nature.
The German Romantic tradition is well known for its awe of natural sublimities and natural wonders. The German immigrants brought that tradition with them when they came to America.
That’s why there’s a lot of respect for the natural beauties that serve as background to these small German-American towns. Speaking about nature, you’ll hardly be disappointed in Fredericksburg.
Parks, preserved natural areas, powerful rivers, viewpoints — they’re all representative of the Texas Hill Country (as the area is called) that gives the West its rugged and distinctive beauty, usually narrated in Western movies.
Just make sure you come here with a car and there’s nothing stopping you to see it all. You’re in for a vacation you’ll never forget!
The 4 Best Parts of Fredericksburg, TX
The four cities in this guide center around the main attraction, Fredericksburg, and are fairly similar to each other. Typical small Western towns, all of them are full of natural beauties, a lively fusion of German-Texan culture, and a lot of authentic cowboy experience.
It’s up to you to choose which one suits you the most, but don’t make too much of it. They all resemble one another!
- Fredericksburg. The main attraction of the region, it’s a small German-Texan city with a great Downtown and a few famous museums and vineyards
- Kerrville. The biggest town in the area with the sublime Guadalupe river running through it; offers a great combination of cultural institutions and natural beauty
- Boerne. Roughly the size of Fredericksburg, Boerne is a small city most famous for its cave and fine German beer, courtesy of the early German pioneers
- Wimberley. The smallest town in the area, which offers some of the most exciting natural experiences including scenic drives, a beautiful park, and an authentic Texas ranch
Fredericksburg TX’s Best Areas and Hotels
Fredericksburg and the surrounding areas are swarming with tourists and visitors from all around the world, so it’s highly developed. All of the towns represented in this guide offer a wide variety of hotels from every class.
As expected, Fredericksburg is the place with the best accommodation options. The ones listed in this guide are the most representative, but there are many more. What’s distinctive for the whole region is that the hotels are usually of the highest quality.
Almost all of them — even the budget ones — boast an outdoor or an indoor swimming pool, and a lot of them have restaurants and bars on the premises.
One more thing that you should have in mind is that some of the cities, such as Wimberley, don’t have any accommodations options with less than three stars. Don’t panic! There are a lot of cheap three-star hotels that are perfectly suitable for visitors who are on a budget.
Fredericksburg is truly a unique town — even in the context of huge America. With a tiny population of only 10,000 people, it offers things to see and stuff to do that would make a town of a few million blush.
That’s why it’s almost always crowded with tourists and remains a popular destination for people from all around the world. We recommend you start with Main Street — the central shopping and cultural hub of the city (as usually is the case with smaller US towns).
It’s practically heaven for shoppers since it offers more than 100 shops and a lot of traditional German restaurants. The street itself was selected as the Travellers’ Choice (and has its own website), so make sure you take a stroll and buy yourself something nice.
Once you finish strolling through Main Street, visit the most important museum in the region, the National Museum of the Pacific War, which is probably the biggest attraction in the city.
It’s a big-town museum and the only place that’s wholly dedicated to the Pacific Offensive during World War II. If you’re a fan of military history or history in general, make sure you visit this place. Fredericksburg is also famous for its wine and vineyards.
Grape Creek Vineyards Fredericksburg, located just outside the city, for example, will make you feel like you’re in Tuscany. If you’re more for the urbane wine-tasting experience, go to Grape Creek Vineyards on Main — the wine and the service are great in both places.
As we already mentioned, Fredericksburg is a popular location, swarming with tourists throughout the year. That means it’s quite prepared, and that accommodation won’t be a problem, and neither will the food.
There are hotels and motels for all classes, and it’s up to you to find what suits you.
Things to Do
- Spend a whole day strolling through Fredericksburg’s main attraction Downtown — Main Street. It’s the best place in town to do some shopping or have a nice lunch or dinner.
- Learn some history in Fredericksburg’s two great museums: The National Museum of the Pacific War, which is all about WWII and the Pioneer Museum, dedicated to the early American Experience.
- Enjoy the world-famous wine of Fredericksburg and its beautiful vineyards. Go out of town in Grape Creek Vineyards Fredericksburg if you’re up for a small adventure, or go to Grape Creek Vineyards on Main Street for a more urban experience.
- Take a look at the surrounding natural beauties of Fredericksburg and the area. The Enchanted Rock State Natural Area is a must-see, and so are the Wildseed Farms and the Old Tunnel State Park.
Where to Eat
- Prometheus Pizza is a 2022 Travelers’ Choice and probably the best pizza in the city, with vegetarian and vegan options available.
- Cabernet Grill Texas Wine Country Restaurant is another 2022 Travelers’ Choice and it’s all about Texan local cuisine and seafood. It’s got a great wine selection, too.
- Sunset Grill is the third 2022 Travelers’ Choice (there are a lot of them in Fredericksburg) and one of the best grills in town with a lot of vegan and vegetarian options.
Fredericksburg Budget Hotels
- Hotel Kitsmiller on Main is a one-star hotel that offers free Wi-Fi, parking, and coffee and tea-making machines in every room.
- Azure Hills Inn and Suites is another one-star accommodation in Fredericksburg with free parking and free Wi-Fi, which is also pet-friendly.
Fredericksburg Mid-Range Hotels
- Best Western Plus Fredericksburg is a three-star hotel from the Best Western chain of hotels, with a nice outdoor pool and tasty waffle breakfast.
- Comfort Inn and Suites Fredericksburg is a pet-friendly, three-star hotel with a great location in the center of the city, particularly suitable for couples.
Fredericksburg Luxury Hotels
- Walnut Canyon Cabins is a great four-star accommodation that’s pet friendly and offers an amazing breakfast every morning.
- Modern Farmhouse-Hot Tub-Firepit – 1 mi to town! is a four-start luxurious apartment, located just out of Fredericksburg.
Kerrville is a slightly bigger city located south of Fredericksburg, just 30 minutes by car. It’s mostly famous because of the sublime nature that surrounds it. Part of the Texas Hill Country and full of beautiful parks, it’s truly a sight to behold.
The powerful Guadalupe River runs through the town, offering an unforgettable view. If you prefer this kind of scenery — a rugged Texas hillside and a big river running through the city — Kerrville is a perfect choice for you.
One of the first things you should do if you’re into nature and hiking is follow the Kerrville River Trail. It’s a six-mile trail that follows the Guadalupe River and offers a great opportunity for many different activities, like biking or even renting a boat.
The trail is connected to all kinds of different locations that will impress nature lovers. There’s the 500-acre Kerrville-Schreiner Park on the shores of the river and the beautiful Louise Hays Park, where you can relax and enjoy the natural beauties of this area.
Probably the culmination of the hike along the Guadalupe River will be the visit to the Riverside Nature Center. This non-profit organization operating since 1989, has a beautiful arboretum and a meadow but also hosts different kinds of activities and workshops especially suited for the young.
Don’t forget to visit the gift shop and the inside exhibition and learn about the Texas flora! Kerrville has a lot to offer to lovers of culture too. The Coming King Sculpture Prayer Gardens is quite legendary, but there are also active institutions, like The Museum of Western Art, the Kerr Arts & Cultural Center Inc. and the Cailloux Theatre.
The accommodations situation in Kerrville is practically the same as in Fredericksburg, but there are fewer choices in the luxury area. There are a lot of great three-star hotels. The restaurants, on the other hand, mostly serve American cuisine and grilled food.
Things to Do
- Follow the powerful Guadalupe River along the Kerrville River Trail. It’s definitely the city’s greatest attraction, offering many opportunities for hiking, boating, or cycling.
- Visit the Riverside Nature Center and learn about the flora of this area. The arboretum on the premises is very nice, but so is their educational program, consisting of a lot of workshops and other activities.
- Go to a theater performance in the Cailloux Theatre. It’s a great 800-seat performance center that’s been a source of entertainment for the city and the adjoining area for more than 20 years.
- If you’re more into arts — both seeing them and doing some painting or sculpting yourself — Kerrville has two things to offer: The Museum of Western Art and the Kerr Arts & Cultural Center Inc.
Where to Eat
- Rails A Cafe at the Depot is a typical American restaurant (another 2022 Travellers’ Choice) with a lot of vegan and vegetarian options.
- 1011 Bistro is a classy restaurant that offers exclusive dishes, an extensive wine list, a romantic and relaxing atmosphere, and the best view in the area.
- Rio Ranch Cafe is a Mexican restaurant serving a combination of American and Mexican food, inspiring many positive reviews.
Kerrville Budget Hotels
- Motel 6-Kerrville, TX is a two-star motel that has a lot to offer: free Wi-Fi, free parking, pet-friendly premises, and an outdoor pool.
- Lone Star Inn Kerrville/Fredericksburg is a two-star hotel with a pool, pet-friendly premises, free Wi-Fi, and free parking.
Kerrville Mid-Range Hotels
- Hampton Inn Kerrville is a nice three-star hotel with a swimming pool, free Wi-Fi, free parking, and a fabulous breakfast.
- La Quinta by Wyndham Kerrville is another three-star hotel with a pool, a pet-friendly policy, and a tasty breakfast.
Kerrville Luxury Hotels
- Stunning Ranch House with Pool & Firepit is a great and very luxurious four-star hotel, with an outdoor pool, garden, barbeque facilities, and a mountain view.
Located further down south from Fredericksburg and roughly the same size, Boerne is another small American town with a distinctive German vibe and culture.
Founded by German immigrants and named after the famous satirist and writer Ludwig Börne, the city is full of history and surrounded by beautiful nature. Fitting for a place influenced by German culture, Boerne’s beer and breweries are quite famous.
That being said, the town is mostly famous for its caves. It’s not a commonly known fact that this small city has one of the most developed and oldest cavern systems in the U.S.
It’s obvious that something like that would become the main attraction of the general area. The Cave Without a Name, located 11 miles to the northeast of Boerne, is considered the most beautiful natural cave in Texas.
Filled with magnificent stalactites and stalagmites, it has attracted tourists for more than 80 years. The Cascade Caverns — selected as the 2022 Travelers’ Choice — have an even older tradition, working since 1932.
The Cathedral Room deep into the caves is one of the most sublime things you’ll see in your life. Caverns aside, the most beautiful thing in Boerne might be the two parks. The Boerne City Park, with its 65 acres, offers various activities, such as tennis courts, swimming pools, and athletic fields.
River Road Park, on the other hand, is famous for its beautiful scenery. Finally, Cibolo Nature Center — also in the city — offers an unforgettable vista of the beauties of Texas Hill Country. Boerne is full of hotels and restaurants, befitting a tourist’s paradise.
One or two-star budget accommodations, great three-star hotels with swimming pools, and super-luxurious four-star hotels inside and outside the city. As for the restaurants, get ready to enjoy some German-influenced cuisine and great German beer!
Things to Do
- Boerne offers one of the best caving experiences in the U.S. If you have the chance, visit both the Cave Without a Name and the Cascade Caverns.
- Relax in the city parks. If you want to look at the beautiful scenery, go to River Road Park, and if you’re more into sports and that kind of stuff, visit the huge Boerne City Park.
- If you want to discover all about Texas Hill Country’s natural beauties, Boerne has two beautiful jewels to offer you. First, the Cibolo Nature Center, and second, the Kreutzberg Canyon Natural Area, which is full of wildlife and offers an unforgettable hiking experience.
- You can visit the famous Kuhlmann-King House and learn something about the rich German tradition of this area. But don’t forget the beer! Cibolo Creek Brewing Company is the best pub in town, so make sure you go there and try the homemade beer.
Where to Eat
- The Creek Restaurant is a 2022 Travelers’ Choice located in the heart of Boerne, serving mostly American dishes with a lot of vegan and vegetarian options.
- Cypress Grille is the best restaurant in Boerne, according to customer reviews, with some of the best grilled food offers and a great wine list.
- The Dodging Duck Brewhaus is a German-American restaurant that offers a combination of American cuisine and German beers, served in a casual and relaxed atmosphere.
Boerne Budget Hotels
- The Kendall is a very nice two-star accommodation with a swimming pool on the premises, different kinds of rooms, cabins, cottages, and a bar.
- HillView Inn at Six Flags Fiesta is a cheap one-star accommodation with an outdoor pool, regular amenities, free parking, and free Wi-Fi.
Boerne Mid-Range Hotels
- Comfort Inn & Suites Texas Hill Country is a more than decent three-star hotel with a swimming pool, free parking and Wi-Fi, and a pet-friendly premise.
- Hampton Inn & Suites Boerne is another great three-star hotel with a swimming pool, free Wi-Fi and parking, barbeque facilities, and a great breakfast.
Boerne Luxury Hotels
- The Bevy Hotel Boerne, A Doubletree By Hilton is one of the two four-star hotels in the city, offering a swimming pool, luxurious rooms, a bar, and a restaurant on the premises.
- Tapatio Springs Hill Country Resort is located just outside of Boerne in the Texas Hill Country and it’s the second four-star hotel that offers both luxury and beautiful nature.
Wimberley is definitely the smallest town on this list of Texas small towns. Populated by no more than 3,000 people, it still has a lot to offer. It’s the epitome of a small Texas town, with a historic downtown and lively scenery with ranches spread all around the outskirts of the city.
One of the most famous scenic rides, the Devil’s Backbone Scenic Drive, is located near the city. It’s twisty and curvy — perfect for a slow ride full of sightseeing.
Then, there are the parks and the natural areas. First on the list is the 2022 Travelers’ Choice, namely the Blue Hole Regional Park. The 126-acre area is full of hiking trails, picnic areas, basketball courts, community areas, and designated places for swimming.
In 2005, when the city’s project for preserving the lush nature of the Texas Hills started, it became the area’s top location.There are two other natural beauties you have to visit: Jacob’s Well Natural Area to the north of Wimberley is a great place for swimming.
Mind the calendar, because at certain times of the year (due to preservation purposes) it’s completely forbidden. Finally, with its 220 steps, the Old Baldy is the best viewpoint of the area. You have to break a sweat, but it’s definitely worth the effort.
The hotel situation can be a bit misleading since there are no hotels in Wimberley with less than three stars at first glance. But don’t worry, numbers don’t reflect the true light of the situation.
Some of those three-starred accommodations are very cheap and perfectly available for visitors on a budget. For those who want a more upscale experience, there’s a wide variety of mid-range and luxurious hotels and accommodations too.
Things to Do
- Hop into your car and drive through one of the most beautiful scenic rides in the whole of Texas — the Devil’s Backbone Scenic Drive. The road is very twisty, but that’s a plus since you’ll have to drive slowly and enjoy the scenery.
- Explore the natural beauties of the region. First, spend a whole day in Blue Hole Regional Park, and do some hiking, cycling, swimming, or whatever else floats your boat. Try to go to Jacob’s Well Natural Area unless it’s closed for preservation purposes.
- Enjoy a view of the whole city from the highest and most famous viewpoint in the region, the Old Baldy. It may be a tough climb for beginners, but it’s definitely worth the effort.
- If you’re a little bit tired of nature and want to learn about the city’s history, visit the exemplary Western museum, Jack Glover’s Cowboy Museum, and learn all about the cowboys. In between, take a look at Bella Vista Ranch for another authentic Texas experience.
Where to Eat
- The Leaning Pear is a 2022 Travelers’ Choice. It’s an American restaurant with a cozy patio, reasonable prices, and vegan and vegetarian options available.
- Wimberley Cafe is another 2022 Travelers’ Choice that serves local cuisine. We recommend the biscuits, fried okra, and cheeseburger.
- Chill’s On The Creek is a family-friendly place with an outdoor setting and a great view. Try the burger and spring mix salad and enjoy the live music.
Wimberley Budget Hotels
- Come On Inn is a relatively cheap, pet-friendly three-star hotel that offers air-conditioning rooms with a private bathroom and a patio. Basically, it’s a decent budget option.
- Sunflower Ridge Bungalow is another cheap three-star accommodation that has an on-site restaurant, free parking, free Wi-Fi, and free air conditioning.
Wimberley Mid-Range Hotels
- Wimberley Inn is a three-star hotel of a higher class, offering pet-friendly rooms equipped with sitting areas, free parking, Wi-Fi, and a bar on the premises.
- Hotel Flora and Fauna is another great three-star hotel, which has an outdoor swimming pool, a spa and wellness center, and rooms with free Wi-Fi, a kitchenette, and a view.
Wimberley Luxury Hotels
- Collective Hill Country located on the outskirts of Wimberley, this five-star accommodation offers a restaurant and a bar on the premises.
- Sandy Point is an entire holiday home, listed with four stars, with two bedrooms, a kitchen, Wi-Fi, air conditioning, and an on-site restaurant.
So, Where Should You Stay in Fredericksburg TX?
We’ve reached the end of this guide that walked us through the intricacies of German-flavored America. Let’s do a quick recap and see what we’ve got.
Fredericksburg is the main attraction of the region with the most to offer. Its downtown is splendid, and there are a lot of shopping options on Main Street. Also, there’s a wide variety of museums, historical monuments, and great food.
Kerrville is the biggest city in this guide, famous for the Guadalupe River. The city has a great blend of nature and culture, ensuring every potential visitor finds something according to their taste.
Boerne is about the same size as Fredericksburg and offers some of the best cave tourism — if not the best — in this part of America. Also, there’s some nice stuff here connected to the German heritage of the city’s population, such as the beer and the German-inspired breweries.
Finally, Wimberley is the perfect choice for lovers of nature and the great outdoors. What you get is a scenic drive, a huge park, and an authentic Texas ranch, all of them offering the perfect cowboy experience.